Which concertina to buy- Rochelle or Elise

gbsshs

Hello: I'm new to the world of concertina. The style of music that I wish to play is the traditional Irish music. I hope to join in on the various jam sessions that exist in the pubs of ireland.

Being a beginner, I've done some research on selecting the proper concertina to purchase. I've narrowed it down to either the Rochelle Anglo or the Elise Duet concertina. Being new to the instrument, I'm not sure which one I should pick. Everything I've read has stated that the Rochelle is a fine beginner's concertina. Although, I've read that the Elise Duet concertina, with the Hayden button layout is easier to learn on than an Anglo button layout. So I'm still a little baffled with which concertina to pick. I was hoping that someone with more experience might guide me on this matter. Thank you. PS: This is a really nice website.

Graham

Edited by gbsshs

Hello: I'm new to the world of concertina. The style of music that I wish to play is the traditional Irish music. I hope to join in on the various jam sessions that exist in the pubs of ireland.

Being a beginner, I've done some research on selecting the proper concertina to purchase. I've narrowed it down to either the Rochelle Anglo or the Elise Duet concertina. Being new to the instrument, I'm not sure which one I should pick. Everything I've read has stated that the Rochelle is a fine beginner's concertina. Although, I've read that the Elise Duet concertina, with the Hayden button layout is easier to learn on than an Anglo button layout. So I'm still a little baffled with which concertina to pick. I was hoping that someone with more experience might guide me on this matter. Thank you. PS: This is a really nice website.

Graham

I play both Anglo and Hayden, and my Hayden is an Elise. I think that I would recommend the Anglo for you. The C/G Anglo (such as the Rochelle) is the standard instrument for Irish traditional dance music. If you want to learn from other Irish-style players or from instruction books, that's the instrument you'll want to play. In addition, the missing notes on the Elise might also be a problem for you - there are no G#'s on it at all and the highest note on the instrument is a high A. You'll want to have G#'s and a high B available for your Irish tunes.

I would add that if you start with a Rochelle you may find yourself wanting to move up to a more expensive and more responsive Anglo at some point, especially if the sessions that you go to play at a high speed. The Rochelle and Elise are great instruments for the price, but they do have their limitations.

Thanks Daniel,

I think I'll go the Rochelle Anglo concertina route. I know at sometime I will want to upgrade to a better concertina but right now the Rochelle is the one that is in my budget range. My wife would kill me if I spent more. Also, I figure if I purchase it from Concertina Connections, I can take advantage of their upgrade program later down the road. Again, thanks for the advise.

Graham

Thanks Daniel,

I think I'll go the Rochelle Anglo concertina route. I know at sometime I will want to upgrade to a better concertina but right now the Rochelle is the one that is in my budget range. My wife would kill me if I spent more. Also, I figure if I purchase it from Concertina Connections, I can take advantage of their upgrade program later down the road. Again, thanks for the advise.

Graham

You're welcome! Good luck!