New guy saying hello

at was the commissioned one. I'm interested to see what he has and when I get to look it over I'll post up the serial number and some pictures.

Last night our youngest and I had the little 'tina out and were pootling with some notes (remember neither of us can play any instrument). (see above post for our Charlies attempts at going through the notes ) The little one sounds lovely and after working through the note order I was starting to put together the basics of Old Lang Syne.

Sounds like your well on the way to joining the concertina lovers community! It gets addictive I warn you.

By the way - here's a tongue in cheek warning against becoming a hoodie -

http://ukesnotdead.bandcamp.com/track/oi-kid-dont-be-a-hoody

(lyrics perhaps not quite suitable for your young'un)

Tom

Hee hee she'd like that Tom. 16 this weekend but still happy to sit with me for a while and play with the little one and a mouth organ until she got board and went back up to her room where Facebook/twitter/whatever else was calling her coz she hadn't replied for twenty minutes phht what is the world coming to? :)

So I have been located and unmasked. Yes, Dowright is Randy Merris.

Now, what can I do regarding Crabb miniature concertinas?

A. Attached is an image of two 12-key Crabb English miniatures: (1) No. 10169: flat fretwork; 2 15/16" across the flat of the end (not point to point) and (2) No. 17753; moulded-edge fretwork; 2 7/8" across the flat.

B. Attached is an image of an 18-key Crabb English minature, No. 18422.

C. I havw written an article, "Miniature and Semi-miniature Concertinas," forthcoming in Papers of the International Concertina Association in November/December 2012. The article contains images of more than 30 miniature and semi-miniature concertinas, as well as extensive text regarding the makers and professional players of miniature concertinas. The article will be archived at concertina.org (PICA section). But there may be a protracted delay. I wrote articles for PICA in 2009, 2010, and 2011, as well as earlier years. Only the ones from earlier years have as yet been archived at concertina.org.

Get quick access to my miniatures article (and the great articles of other authors). JOIN THE INTERNATIONAL CONCERTINA ASSOCIATION, TODAY!

post-8053-0-63516200-1350945583_thumb.jpg

post-8053-0-31821900-1350945604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dowright

So I have been located and unmasked. Yes, Dowright is Randy Merris.

Now, what can I do regarding Crabb miniature concertinas?

A. Attached is an image of two 12-key Crabb English miniatures: (1) No. 10169: flat fretwork; 2 15/16" across the flat of the end (not point to point) and (2) No. 17753; moulded-edge fretwork; 2 7/8" across the flat.

B. Attached is an image of an 18-key Crabb English minature, No. 18422.

C. I havw written an article, "Miniature and Semi-miniature Concertinas," forthcoming in Papers of the International Concertina Association in November/December 2012. The article contains images of more than 30 miniature and semi-miniature concertinas, as well as extensive text regarding the makers and professional players of miniature concertinas. The article will be archived at concertina.org (PICA section). But there may be a protracted delay. I wrote articles for PICA in 2009, 2010, and 2011, as well as earlier years. Only the ones from earlier years have as yet been archived at concertina.org.

Get quick access to my miniatures article (and the great articles of other authors). JOIN THE INTERNATIONAL CONCERTINA ASSOCIATION, TODAY!

Hi Randy and thanks for responding. I am trying to find out a little bit more of the history of the Crabb midgets purely for my own interest. When it was posted that you had taken along a miniature to the recent meet I was interested to know what you had (if it was a Crabb midget or one of the other companies miniatures).

The pics posted are interesting. The numbers on those are later than ours yet the Crabb markings seem to be Crabb only whereas ours shows Crabb and Son. Geoff Crabb hopefully might be able to clarify why this might be. You will see he notes earlier that the company started making these in 1929 which would have been Crabb and Son. I wonder if the Crabb only name was used due to the limited space on the midgets.

'H Crabb' Midget English made 1929 - 1987 (closure):-

8 key = 3, 12 key = 57, 18 key =16, 20 key = 5.

We have 4 of the 57 12 keys and one of the 18 keys Only 76 more to find :) I'm on a mission.