Decisions, decisions...

I am not at all tired of my Albion treble EC... but I'm going to get another EC. Will be making a trip to The Button Box sometime soon.

I was set on getting a Stagi because I've always thought those are nice for singing with if (like me) you have a not-so-loud voice. Lower price than, say, a new Geordie baritone.... yes, that's the other consideration.

I do actually have a Stagi, too, though it is an 18-button mini one. Kind of tiny. But, the sound is definitely the Stagi sound. I suppose I could keep that and use it when I want to hear myself screeching.

Anyway... I don't know what I'll decide on. Have always wanted to get a baritone EC so that just might be what I decide on.

Has anyone here compared the Albion baritone with the Geordie baritone? Any preference for either?

Has anyone here compared the Albion baritone with the Geordie baritone? Any preference for either?

I'm going for the Geordie as soon as house-rebuilding expenses finally end, mainly because of the extra range given by the extra buttons. I'll mainly be playing tunes rather than accompanying song, so the extra notes will come in handy sooner or later ...

I've played both and they are both absolute beauties! I certainly wouldn't consider a Stagi over either of those two.

Well, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do, but I need a few days still before I say for sure. smile.gif

House-building.... hmm, well, my house is less sturdy than my concertina case right now, in some spots! Really. Needs some repairs. But, hopefully we'll get through the winter.

I learnt on a Stagi (tenor) and this summer upgraded to a Geordie (also tenor), and it's the Most Wonderful Thing. I find the dynamics a billion times easier to control on the Geordie, as opposed to always loud.

I don't know about the baritones, but I would assume it would be a similar situation.

On a side note, those little 18-button stagis are precious, a friend of mine has one. We'd swap instruments and both get ridiculously confused, me for lack of buttons and he because the sudden addition of 30 more buttons. It was great.

well, BB does have two used baritone albions in right now. ... they had ten, TEN vintage ECs in stock for a while there, tho i see today they're back down to a paltry nine....people must be feeling pressed to let their ECs go, an odd sign o'the times...

i very much want to acquire a tenor EC, and have toyed with the idea of trying a stagi with a hand reed upgrade, as offered by a couple of other venues than BB. but i'm feeling queasy about the stagi action and given that stagis are not to be had for nothing, i don't want to blow that much money on something i'd rapidly be very unhappy with. i think i'm going to go for delayed gratification and hold out until i can purchase a keeper...

i think i'm going to go for delayed gratification and hold out until i can purchase a keeper...

....wow, now there is an unusually trait for a concertina player; I've never heard of "delayed gratifaction" in this sort of circumstance..... :P shelly

Well, I went to The Button Box and after trying few different concertinas decided on a Geordie Baritone. So, I don't have it yet but... pretty soon! The Geordie sounds GREAT.

As well, I took a chance on Ebay and got a Bastari EC (since I'd wanted a Stagi, I'd thought). True, it's a cheaper concertina and not like the high-end ones, but it's really quite okay for singing along with, or for learning, etc.. This one shows very little wear, has one note that sounds slightly off but should be an easy repair.

I've decided, though, that when it comes to Stagi or Bastari, it's the sound of the Mini (18 button) that I like, more than the full-sized.

And how nice that we have this forum where we can share our excitement. I don't meet many people that share my interest in 'that harmonica-sounding thing.' So far, haven't even told some close family members. By chance, saw an old guitar-player friend at a fast-food joint last night, and made a point of telling him -- he seemed to understand!

Edited by bellowbelle

Well, I went to The Button Box and after trying few different concertinas decided on a Geordie Baritone. So, I don't have it yet but... pretty soon! The Geordie sounds GREAT.

I'll look forward to hearing about how you get on with the Geordie baritone - as I've said I've got my heart set on one, so it'll be good to hear an owner's thoughts ...

after trying few different concertinas decided on a Geordie Baritone. So, I don't have it yet but... pretty soon! The Geordie sounds GREAT.

Congratulations of your new instrument - enjoy it! :)

Edited by SteveS