Gospel "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore" for Anglo Concertina

Ondrej

Hi, Ondrej,

Very nice!

That's the way I like to use the Anglo, too. Taking a song you know well, trying to play it through, and keeping your ears open for the harmonies that the Anglo offers you. I would never think of trying to play someone else's arrangement from sheet music - although it is sometimes good to listen to others, and see if you can copy their good ideas. :)

Keep going - your arrangements will get more and more sophisticated when you've played them 10 or 100 times. You've obviously got the right idea, anyway.

By the way, do you make other kinds of music?

Cheers,

John

Hi John.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement.

My main instrument is the ukulele (see youtube). The concertina playing, I had just begun. Other recordings will be. I like to play the harmonic style (left chords, melody right). So something in that direction.

Ondrej

My main instrument is the ukulele.

Aha! I though so!

The first attempts that most concertina beginners put on Youtube are usually melody only. That's mainly because the concertina is their first instrument, so they're beginner musicians, and not accustomed to thinking in harmonies yet. So it's no surprise that you already play an instrument that uses chords.

I sometimes play the ukulele, too, but only simple strumming for song accompaniment. My other main instrument is the 5-string banjo, played finger-style.

Have fun, whatever you play!

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...