Our pal Al

Delightful! Except that after it was over, I was presented with other Stanley Holloway pieces--and a BBC story on the Battle of Hastings, which consumed an hour. I suppose the connection is that both Holloway and Hastings begin with an H?

Delightful! Except that after it was over, I was presented with other Stanley Holloway pieces--and a BBC story on the Battle of Hastings, which consumed an hour. I suppose the connection is that both Holloway and Hastings begin with an H?

Talking about battles I was trying to work the maths out in this youtube comment on Al's moanalongue......

"people in their 60's & 70's know a lots of valuable information like WW2 and how things were before we were born

johnny Kliewer 1 year ago"

(and in the video nor can you see Al's pegleg from Trafalgar... :lol: :blink:

Edited by Kautilya

Stanley Holloway had another monologue about the Battle of Hastings:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/barnicle/stanley/words/hastings.htm

...On 'is 'orse, wiv 'is 'awk on 'is 'and...

Neat. I've heard this one many times but not in the last few decades (mostly from Tony Barrand and Michael Cooney back in the 70s). This is the first time I've seen the words all laid out. I'm struck by all the American Football imagery. What did Holloway's music hall audiences make of that? Or do "They tossed," "The kick-off," "half-time," and "off-side" have meaning in Rugby, too?

I hope that since this thread has nothing to do with concertinas except the presence of Alan Day, that nobody will object too strenuously to the thread drift.

. I'm struck by all the American Football imagery. What did Holloway's music hall audiences make of that? Or do "They tossed," "The kick-off," "half-time," and "off-side" have meaning in Rugby, too?

it is more likely to be the "other game": football or soccer.

[i'm struck by all the American Football imagery. What did Holloway's music hall audiences make of that? Or do "They tossed," "The kick-off," "half-time," and "off-side" have meaning in Rugby, too?

I hate to disillusion you, but American football has nothing to do with the imagery. It all derives from with the game that Stanley Holloway would have been familiar with - football (ie soccer). ;)

Or do "They tossed," "The kick-off," "half-time," and "off-side" have meaning in Rugby, too?

David,

It seems that asociation football ("soccer") and American football have more terminology in common than cricket and baseball ...

Reminds me of the story of a middle-aged American couple touring England, who decided to watch a game of cricket. They sat, completely mystified, for a while, then for no apparent reason there was a ripple of applause from the spectators.

"Why're they clapping?" asked the wife.

"I dunno, I'll ask," said the husband, turned to the Englishman in the seat beside him and held a short conversation.

Turning back to his wife, he said, "He says that guy just bowled a maiden over."

"What's that mean?" asked his wife.

"I didn't like to ask ..." said the husband.

B)

Cheers,

John

Or do "They tossed," "The kick-off," "half-time," and "off-side" have meaning in Rugby, too?

David,

It seems that asociation football ("soccer") and American football have more terminology in common than cricket and baseball ...

Reminds me of the story of a middle-aged American couple touring England, who decided to watch a game of cricket. They sat, completely mystified, for a while, then for no apparent reason there was a ripple of applause from the spectators.

"I dunno, I'll ask," said the husband, turned to the Englishman in the seat beside him and held a short conversation.

Turning back to his wife, he said, "He says that guy just bowled a maiden over."

B)

Cheers,

John

Reminds me of the saying used many times at a funeral of anyone dying over the age of seventy.

"Well He had a good innings "

You wonder if he is laying there with his pads on ,bat in hand, after scoring a hundred runs

Quirky lot this side of the pond

Al (not feeling quite so queer)

David,

B)

Cheers,

John

Reminds me of the saying used many times at a funeral of anyone dying over the age of seventy.

You wonder if he is laying there with his pads on ,bat in hand, after scoring a hundred runs

Quirky lot this side of the pond

Al (not feeling quite so queer)

Story has it that when Groucho Marx was taken to his first cricket match at Lords Cricket Ground he was utterly bewildered and was eventually heard to say "....and when it gets dark I suppose they play with a luminous ball?"

... terminology ...

B)

Ah, the wonderful ambiguity of language.

Then there's the Down East (state of Maine) story about the young fellow from the local paper interviewing the woman who is celebrating her 100th birthday. Of course he's asking all the trite questions, such as:

He: "To what do you attribute your long life?"

She: "Wal, son, I've never been sick a day my life."

He: "You mean to say that in all your 100 years you've never once been bedridden?"

She: "Of course I have, sonny, hundreds of times... and three times in a dory! But surely you're not going to print
that
in your newspaper?"
:o