unusual duet (I presume) on eBay

JimLucas

I think it will be a Wheatstone duet and what they've done is pull the Eb buttons across out of the main column so they are easily identifiable, or perhaps avoidable is a better word. The accidentals on one of these are laid out next to one of their natural notes and usually the most likely one; so the F sharps are next to Fs and not G's for instance. Most of them end up in the 2 outside columns except for the Dsharp/Eb. These are beside the D but along way from their coresponding E; it's a pig because you want Eb much more than D sharp, and they float in the middle of nowhere on the keyboard and are several tones adrift from the notes around them; hit one by mistake and it's not only wrong, it's excruciatingly wrong; it's an easy thing to do and really causes pain. It's a little pitfall trap for the aspiring player. (And the cure, I believe, if anyone is curious, is to take the bull by the horns and learn a few flat key pieces early on and get used to them.)

Perhaps someone played his duet for long enough to know it was worth commissioning a pukka one from Wheatstones, but not for long enough to have got over the Eb terrors and this is what Wheatstone did when asked. There was another one like this discussed a couple of years ago but I can't remember where, so it's not unique.

I have come across this before, mostly in the Lancashire area, in connection with playing along with Brass Bands, who commonly played in flat keys especially Bb and Eb. The offsetting of the 4th collumn is to facilitate runs that include D & Eb consecutively, which is slightly awkward on a standard Maccan.

Inventor.

As well as the large offsettings in the 4th column, there is also some smaller offsettings in the 5th and 6th columns, though cols 1, 2, 3 look pretty straight.

I decided they were just 'knock on effects' of the main shuffling.

I like Brian's explanation for why, although you have to wonder why they didn't just order a transposing instrument in the first place.

I decided they were just 'knock on effects' of the main shuffling.

I like Brian's explanation for why, although you have to wonder why they didn't just order a transposing instrument in the first place.

Or just practice?

Or just practice?

It works for me...

Reminds me of the old Peanuts comic: Lucy tells Schroeder that she has just noticed that what looks like black keys on his (toy) piano are actually just painted on. So how does he play his beloved Beethoven and all the other complicated stuff he plays? Lots of practice.

Reminds me of the old Peanuts comic: Lucy tells Schroeder that she has just noticed that what looks like black keys on his (toy) piano are actually just painted on. So how does he play his beloved Beethoven and all the other complicated stuff he plays? Lots of practice.

The Fugue in C major by Shostakovich, from his 24 Preludes and Fugues, is written on just the white notes. I can't think of any other piece of "serious" piece of music written without an accidental.

The Fugue in C major by Shostakovich, from his 24 Preludes and Fugues, is written on just the white notes. I can't think of any other piece of "serious" piece of music written without an accidental.

So, it was written 'deliberately' and not 'accidentally'! :D

Chris

So, it was written 'deliberately' and not 'accidentally'! :D

Naturally.
B)