Changing button layout Anglo

I agree with Steve - not just sacreligious but pointless. G/Ds are in demand, especially among players of English music, so it shouldn't be difficult to find a buyer. C/Gs are the most easily available of any type of anglo. Sell the G/D, and put the money you'll save on converting it towards a better-quality C/G. Win-win all round.

I am currently working on converting a melodeon with 31 Buttons on the right hand side to an A/D/G/C/F instrument.

and have put the button diagram on melodeon.net. A similar thing could be done an Anglo-type concertina.

For a C/G/D instrument you would need to start with a 38 button instrument, and have it professionally done by a concertina maker or a very experienced concertina repairer. This would have a right hand side with a sensible compass; and a left hand side with a plefora of 3 in the row major and minor chords.

If the Melodeon project goes well I am considering having a 43 button concertina converted into a C/G/D/A anglife instrument, but only if I can find a professional willing to do this within a sensible time scale, a maximum of 7 weeks rather than the usual 7 plus years.

Inventor.

Edited by inventor

The OP, if I understood correctly, was asking about converting a conventional G/D to a conventional C/G

It is no doubt possible to create custom anglo layouts, but I should have thought that this could only be done by sacrificing some of the accidental notes. Some things may then become easier to play but others will be harder or impossible. If you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages then go ahead, but you may end up with a unique instrument which is impossible to sell. Why do you want a C/G/D/A anglo? Why not just get a duet if you need to play in more keys?

There is an ethical element to this, which I think is what Steve alluded to. Concertinas aren't that easy to come by, and it is questionable whether anyone should make irreversible alterations to create a personalised layout which may make the instrument unplayable by anyone else. It's different with melodeons, which are easily obtainable and where there is no reason to regard an individual instrument as in any way special.

The OP, if I understood correctly, was asking about converting a conventional G/D to a conventional C/G

There is an ethical element to this, which I think is what Steve alluded to. Concertinas aren't that easy to come by, and it is questionable whether anyone should make irreversible alterations to create a personalised layout which may make the instrument unplayable by anyone else. It's different with melodeons, which are easily obtainable and where there is no reason to regard an individual instrument as in any way special.

My view exactly, Howard!

Maybe, if the OP cares to return, we could find out a little more about the subject of the proposed conversion.

I have a D/G Stagi and a D/G Klingenthaler of some sort; the general comments notwithstanding, few would regard a conversion of either of these as terribly contentious. (I have no plans...)

For other boxes it may of course be different - but we don't know.

I would agree that converting say a Stagi raises no great ethical concerns, but is it then worth spending the time and effort, and very likely money, on converting it?

Most likely not, except as an exercise perhaps. However, the thread was heading into ethical grounds with which I would agree, if considering a vintage box. My point was that we didn't know what type of box the OP had in mind. The answer would probably be the same, either way, but the grounds completely different.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we need to get clear whether G middle row, D inner row which are quite common for Morris etc or D middle. G inner I am looking at modifying a C/G Lachenal to D/A to do a Mullally( see other previous posts). It would be possible to just do the middle row to D and leave the G inner.

I understand it need not mean filing reeds and we are looking at the swopping around method.

Edited by michael sam wild