What is this anglo beast?

Any clues as to what this anglo is?

It has nice undamaged wooden ends and fretwork shows a stag. (I think that's what it is). Bellows are metal reinforced ends and, sadly, bright green. Keys seem well sprung and it is remarkably in tune.

It came in a wooden box. Probably from New Zealand (well, that's where the lady who gave it to me came from....)

Warren

Any clues as to what this anglo is?

It has nice undamaged wooden ends and fretwork shows a stag. (I think that's what it is). Bellows are metal reinforced ends and, sadly, bright green. Keys seem well sprung and it is remarkably in tune.

It came in a wooden box. Probably from New Zealand (well, that's where the lady who gave it to me came from....)

Warren

post-6258-0-18782300-1348469068_thumb.jpg

post-6258-0-76359200-1348469148_thumb.jpg

Probably from New Zealand (well, that's where the lady who gave it to me came from....)

Hi Warren,

That is a nicely preserved one. Did she or anyone in her family play it? I'm always looking for information from NZ concertina survivors; they've mostly vanished without a trace, regardless of once having a thriving concertina and house dance culture....

Cheers,

Dan

Looks to be a late C19th/early C20th German made model - and a particularly well preserved one.

The 'dropped shoulders' and use of only three end screws (as opposed to the usual 6 for British made instruments) seem to be characteristics of such instruments.

Yes, add to that the thick buttons, with the rows parallel to a straight side, and the stag, and it's got "German" written all over it!

I bet it has proper German concertina reeds, too - in groups of 5 pairs on a zinc plate.

Cheers,

John