English music hall tunes

Jim Besser

Looking for some cracking good English music hall tunes for a project I'm thinking about. Suggestions, please!

You mean like "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm?" Or do you want really want tunes and not songs....

Edited by cboody

Looking for some cracking good English music hall tunes for a project I'm thinking about. Suggestions, please!

You mean like "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm?" Or do you want really want tunes and not songs....

Sort of looking for both.

Well I play a nice arr of 'The Whistler And His Dog' (1890's) courtesy of the ICA; written by Stanley for duet but perhaps butcherable. Then it seems 'The Lost Chord' was a regular favourite; not exactly the normal idea of a music hall song I agree. (and you won't catch me bothering)

On the song side I like The Man Who Broke The Bank At Monte Carlo. I'd suggest Champagne Charlie but you need to be a woman in a suit for the full effect.

Don't do the corny old 'Bicycle Made for 2', for heavens sake.

Perhaps you should scan down the ICA library index; they have a couple of medlies of tunes called something like 'Golden Age Of Variety 1 2 and 3' and you can lift the tunes you like out of them. Although now I think about it perhaps a medly of pop tunes of the day would have been in period exactly as offered too.) Before you ask for the music be warned poor old Jeremy Hague the libarian has fallen off his bicycle and broken his arm; he managed to tell me this by texting on his mobile! Apparently he is really hors de combat and likely to be so for a while, so until he gets the cast off his regulars are waiting patiently. (Get well soon Jeremy)

assume you already did forum search?

"search for the term music hall returned 119 results"

and there was a long discussion here led by Alan Day prior to his music hall session at the Warwick Folk Festival in 2011 (or was it 2010?)....

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a large book of Music Hall Songs that I'll take a look at this evening to remind myself what's in it. If we can figure out what you're after I can abc the tune for you.

"Riding on Top of a Car" was a great tune but I'm not sure if the tune is in the book, I could email you an mp3 of the song though.

Pete

The book I have is Sixty Years of British Music Hall, hyperlinks don't seem to be working on here at the moment (my screen freezes after pasting the address???) so here is the url of a copy that's for sale: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sixty-Years-British-Music-Hall/dp/0903443139 None of the titles are familiar to me to be honest so I can't make any recommendations regarding the quality/entertainment value of the content.

There's a (barely passable) modern version of Riding on Top of the Car on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1O4gznx59o

I have a really good studio recorded version Jim, just PM your email address to me and I'll send the mp3.

This looks like a useful site.

Not sure what your definition of "cracking good" is, but here are just a few of the possibilities:

• Man on the Flying Trapeze
  • My Old Dutch
  • Bird on Nellie's Hat
  • Henery the Eighth
  • Sweeney Todd
  • Has Anybody Here Seen Kelly
  • Champagne Charlie
  • Long Way to Tipperary
  • Little Bit of Cucumber
  • Waiting at the Church
  • ... and many more

Have fun!

This looks like a useful site.

Not sure what your definition of "cracking good" is, but here are just a few of the possibilities:

• Man on the Flying Trapeze
  • My Old Dutch
  • Bird on Nellie's Hat
  • Henery the Eighth
  • Sweeney Todd
  • Has Anybody Here Seen Kelly
  • Champagne Charlie
  • Long Way to Tipperary
  • Little Bit of Cucumber
  • Waiting at the Church
  • ... and many more

Have fun!

\

Based on the principle that if they join in the singing then your playing will be a hit and they will think u are fantastic and book you again at twice the price:

Bless em all, bless em all

My old man;s a dustman, he wears a dustman hat

(BTW it's: Enery not Henery!)

With er ed, tucked underneath er arm, She walks the Bloody Tower,

Various weepy scots - Scottish Soldier

Loch Lomond

Maxwellton Braes

then

Molly Malone

Maggie May, she won;t walk down Lime Streeet any more........

A nightingale sang in Berkeley Square ... Al played a great version of that at Grinton I think three years ago

The Blaydon Races

In my Liverpool Home (we meet under a statue exceedingly bare, if u want a cathedral we;ve got one to spare...

Charlie is me darling

The Lost chord

A policeman's lot is not a happy when - using the Dave Ball composition for full tina band and badtone soloist....

Pack up your troubles

It's the rich wot gets the money and the poor wot gets the pain

My old man said follow the van and dont dilly dally on the way

And some xmas

Three kings, one on a bicycle

As shepherds wash their sox by nite all seated round the tub..

The fffffoggy ffffuggy dew.

Paul Hardy's session tunebook has a few. I really like "The Saucy Little Bird On Nellie's Hat".

You can get his tunebooks here

http://www.pghardy.net/concertina/tunebooks/

David