Marcus Traveller

A rather vague answer, I'm afraid.

I had a brief go on one at Chippenham and reached the conclusion that, if Santa left me one, I wouldn't ask him to take it back...

My playing is not to a standard where I can really give a box some welly in public, but it did seem as loud as the others I played with. I can't remember anything specific about the tone, which suggests it sounded OK.

The button spacing is a bit tighter, of course, but unless you've very large fingers I doubt it would be a problem.

Otherwise up to Marcus' usual standard.

• 10 years later...

Up for an old thread, maybe someone can help 10 years after...

I am planning to buy a Marcus Traveller...(I prefer a used one but I can't find any, I find it pretty expensive for a 21b...).

I have the same questions...Does the size affect the sound in someway ?it seem less "Cavernish" on the left side (hoping it means something :-) 

Would it be appropriate to play Irish ?  (of course I know the limitation vs 30b but I like that is is lighweight, easy to carry and all).

Thank you !

I am thinking of ordering one in the next few weeks.  The extra 1 button is specifically described as making it more suitable for playing Irish melodic style, although that is not my thing.  I have exchanged messages with one owner who has said in no uncertain terms that it is plenty loud enough, and has become his "go to" box.

The "limitations" of a 20b (or 21) are only limitations if you treat them as such.  In the world of melodeons, 20 buttons is

the norm, and in the world of harmonicas, a single diatonic row is enough to play hundreds of tunes.

My best box is a Dipper 30b, but I spend almost as much time on on 20b Lachenal piccolo (same size as a Traveller, but an octave higher) because it is light, portable, and "cheeky" to play.

Thank you Mike ! Yes the C# is indeed a nice extra for Irish 🙂 I was also wondering for tone and bellow size...But then I heard what Cormac Begley can do with a piccolo; so I am pretty sure the Marcus will work for Irish style. I agree with limitations...I just might miss the reverse G/A but I when I had a 30b, I couldn't change my habit ha ha.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, Mikefule said:

The extra 1 button is specifically described as making it more suitable for playing Irish melodic style, although that is not my thing.

The extra button is a C# which allows you to play in the key of D major. There are plenty of English dance tunes in this key so I don't see it as a specifically Irish feature.

10 hours ago, Little John said:

The extra button is a C# which allows you to play in the key of D major. There are plenty of English dance tunes in this key so I don't see it as a specifically Irish feature.

I see your point, of course, but I think the reason they describe it as suitable for the Irish melodic style is because there is only the one C# available.  That's fine if you want to play a single line of melody, as most Irish players do.  It is less useful if you want to play in a harmonic or octave style, as many English players do.

Many melodies have a range that will only require the one C#.  However, in the harmonic style, in D major, that C# would normally be underpinned by the A major chord: A C# E.

That said, many tunes modulate briefly one key up, so there may be many occasions where it makes the difference, even in the harmonic style.

Edited by Mikefule

17 hours ago, Mikefule said:

... that C# would normally be underpinned by the A major chord: A C# E.

True, but with C# in the melody you need only A and E in the bass to give an A major chord. Actually, on some occasions one might use an F# minor chord instead. (I don't know how feasible this is on either the Traveller or a 30 button Anglo. I'm a Crane player myself.)

Congrat Mike ! Let us know what you think 😉

I did try the Traveller about 8 years ago when I was a complete beginner(now an advance beginner 🙂 I stopped for a looong time). I founded it difficult to play at the time and was out of air very quickly....as a beginner of course, that is why I asked if it is appropriate for Irish. Of course it is, but not for a beginner. I am sure I will love it now that I understand better how to play a concertina 😉

Nicolas

On 12/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, papawemba said:

Congrat Mike ! Let us know what you think 😉

I did try the Traveller about 8 years ago when I was a complete beginner(now an advance beginner 🙂 I stopped for a looong time). I founded it difficult to play at the time and was out of air very quickly....as a beginner of course, that is why I asked if it is appropriate for Irish. Of course it is, but not for a beginner. I am sure I will love it now that I understand better how to play a concertina 😉

Nicolas

I don't claim to be an expert, but I work hard at my playing, and try to improve my technique more than I try to broaden my repertoire.

My first biggest step forward in technique came after I bought a simple Lachenal 20 button with traditional 5 fold bellows.  The constraints of the limited range of buttons, coupled with the low-volume bellows took some time to get used to compared to the luxury of my Dipper 30b with 7 fold bellows.  However, my playing has improved immensely as a result.

My second biggest step forward was when I got my Lachenal piccolo 20b with 6 fold bellows.  This is approximately the same physical size as the Traveller, but with shorter bellows, and the reeds are an octave higher.  With it being so high pitched, the left hand notes tend to dominate over the melody.  This led me to develop a more sparse and percussive style of accompaniment that suited the instrument.

These lessons then transfer to the 30b, giving me the choice of playing in that simple, sparse, percussive style or playing something fuller and more "indulgent".

I do not expect any problems playing the traveller when it arrives.  However, maybe 10 years ago, such an instrument might have presented substantial challenges.

• Thanks 1

I agree, playing different concertinas help on technique, adapting the way we play...

With your background, I am 100% sure you will like the Traveller !

Brexit was faster than my brain lol...I should have bought it before...that's life.

Nicolas 

1 hour ago, papawemba said:

Brexit was faster than my brain lol...I should have bought it before...that's life.

Nicolas 

Why do you reference Brexit and what (major) difference do you suggest that makes to you buying an instrument from the Uk ?

1 minute ago, Mikefule said:

21%

That is the rate of Belgian VAT - which the Uk supplier should be discounting off the purchase price ( albeit only at the Uk 20% rate, so 1% less as Belgian VAT is greater than ours) to be paid on receipt in Belgium.  The Import Duty is likely to be a couple of % points on the value?  It is marginally more expensive than it would have been a couple of years ago but hardly so. 

The issue might be that Marcus Music has a turnover low enough that they are not required to register with the government to collect VAT on sales (currently £85,000). That is the position that I am in. When I sell an instrument to a UK client I'm not required to collect VAT on the sale, which makes the price paid by my UK customers 20% lower than it would be if I was VAT registered (on the downside, I can't reclaim the VAT I pay on materials and tools, so my costs are higher). That used to also be true for sales to other EU states, but since Brexit the EU states charge VAT on imports from the UK regardless of whether the seller is VAT registered. As I understand it a larger business that is VAT registered can/should zero-rate their products for export so their clients don't get double-taxed and the final price works out similar for a UK customer or an EU customer.