1860's Photo of Concertine-related instrument?

photoguy

Hello!

First-timer so please forgive any ignorance I may display as this is way outside of my field of expertise. I collect photography and am trying to research an ambrotype image (scan attached) of a young woman with a box-like device with "keyboard" on her lap. I believe it to be a musical instrument of some type. After seeing some photos of the internal components of 19th century concertinas, I thought it might be related despite the box shape. The subject in the photo is identified as Mary Palmer of Barry, Michigan in the inside of the case. Research shows she was born in 1850 which puts the image in the 1862-3 area I would think from her age. I would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this. Thanks for your time & help!

post-10216-0-99533200-1347733085_thumb.jpg

post-10216-0-57295100-1347733109_thumb.jpg

Hello!

First-timer so please forgive any ignorance I may display as this is way outside of my field of expertise. I collect photography and am trying to research an ambrotype image (scan attached) of a young woman with a box-like device with "keyboard" on her lap. I believe it to be a musical instrument of some type. After seeing some photos of the internal components of 19th century concertinas, I thought it might be related despite the box shape. The subject in the photo is identified as Mary Palmer of Barry, Michigan in the inside of the case. Research shows she was born in 1850 which puts the image in the 1862-3 area I would think from her age. I would be grateful to anyone who can shed light on this. Thanks for your time & help!

Hello Photoguy

Try here first, may be of particular interest to you.

Geoffrey

Here's some shots I took of mine during restoration. http://www.flickr.com/photos/23765997@N00/sets/72157600700875760/with/746651599/

Simon - enjoyed your photo essay.

I have an English-made flutina (not a rebadged Busson) in my resto pile.

One difference between the flutina and the melodeon is that the tonic is on the pull not on the push. I'd thought of switching the reeds around so that it plays like a melodeon - I'd have to make new reed pans so as not to destroy the hand-cut slots of the existing reedpan.

• 2 years later...