Sign in to follow this  
Reed Bellows

Russian Bride ads appearing in top banner ad

Just a recommendation to mention something to the ad server provider to block those...unless "Russian Love" is a concertina-related site that I'm unaware of. ;)

By the time I thought to post this, the banner ad had changed, and after refreshing the page over 50 times, it hasn't appeared again.

Also, the culprit may be AdChoices...but as I live and breathe, I've never looked at russian dating sites, or sites specializing in TESOL or TEFL training.

Whatever happened, it's not that big of a deal, but I thought I should let someone in charge know.

Keep up the great work!

I was getting junk ads, and Paul says it is entirely the tracking Google etc. do on me.

So I got more diligent about blocking tracking and deleting cookies, and had no more. So you'll need to try local solutions - we aren't booking those ads at the C.net end.

Ken

I was getting junk ads, and Paul says it is entirely the tracking Google etc. do on me.

So I got more diligent about blocking tracking and deleting cookies, and had no more. So you'll need to try local solutions - we aren't booking those ads at the C.net end.

And I'm now getting US-themed (flag and all) Avis rent-a-car ads in Swedish. So the fact that while I was in Sweden I booked a trip to the US has somehow been picked up by Google, even though I'm not a Google member and used only the airline's web site (not Google) in making the booking?

Scary!
:ph34r:

One possibility is to use the web browser Mozilla Firefox and install an add-onn called AdBlock Plus (ABP). I never see any adds on Concertina.net (or most other sites). Very quiet on the eye! It doesn't stop Google from tracking your moves on the internet of course.

Mark

ps. To install an add-on, in the menu of Firefox, go to Tools/Add-ons ; type "adblock plus" in the search box, etc.

One possibility is to use the web browser Mozilla Firefox and install an add-onn called AdBlock Plus (ABP). I never see any adds on Concertina.net (or most other sites). Very quiet on the eye! It doesn't stop Google from tracking your moves on the internet of course.

Mark

ps. To install an add-on, in the menu of Firefox, go to Tools/Add-ons ; type "adblock plus" in the search box, etc.

A version is also available for Chrome.

I tend to allow ads on Cnet (you can configure ad-block) since I thought that having them contributed a bit to running the site. (Is that still true?)

Chris

I never notice the ads. I just looked up, and sure enough, I see

Dating Russian Women

1000+ Beautiful Russian Women. Get Real Date by Live Chat & Love Call!

www.charmingdate.com

[Edited for formatting] [And now it's back to Concertina Connection]

Edited by David Barnert

Google collects far too much information on usage and other personal information (as does FaceBook and YouTube) so I'm very wary about using them nowadays.

For minimal risk online search use www.startpage.com.

Google collects far too much information on usage and other personal information (as does FaceBook and YouTube) so I'm very wary about using them nowadays.

For minimal risk online search use www.startpage.com.

Glad to see folk are becoming more aware of what has been going on by Google , from copyright theft to profiling in order to intrude.

You can block google analytics and most profiling websites with.

http://www.abine.com/

and to add taco to mozilla

download here

http://download.cnet.com/Abine-TACO/3000-11745_4-75329038.html

There has been some discussion by aficionados that Abine has added a lot of unnecessary extra to TACO, but I ignore that and it is amazing how many websites are trying to track you when you see the taco blocker in operation.

Still, as I know that most of the members on here keep their avatars honest (tri-legged, hermaphrodite, born 12/12/1912, resident Mariana Trench - you may of course get ads for single, leftover flippers, three-part fishnet tights and a picture of a big Russian sailor in his nuclear underpants........

Edited by Kautilya

Thank you for that K; very useful.

Except it's removed logical reason for joining facebook. Unless you count 'It gives me the Willies' as reasonable?

Except it's removed logical reason for joining facebook. Unless you count 'It gives me the Willies' as reasonable?

Your doubtful grammar again (no allusion of course to strict dis-tina-plinarian)-- u silly old willy! :rolleyes:

I don't know Farcebook myself but I would have thought 'it won't give you the visual willies; they would not be allowed.

:)

Edited by Kautilya

duckduckgo.com is a bit weak sometimes (and u have to reset the country each time you open computer which is a pinta) but it does NOT track.

If it does not find something then the drop down menu offers you bing and google etc.

here;s a report from New York Times about.com

http://websearch.about.com/od/enginesanddirectories/p/Duckduckgo.htm

Edited by Kautilya

Your doubtful grammar again (no allusion of course to strict dis-tina-plinarian)-- u silly old willy! :rolleyes:

I don't know Farcebook myself but I would have thought 'it won't give you the visual willies; they would not be allowed.

:)

Yes sorry. Removed my logical reason for NOT joining facebook of course.