Jeffries Bellows papers

As most people know, I have being building up a selection of accurate and faithful restoration standard papers of the rarer bellows papers, or the papers where those currently available could be improved.

To add to the gold on white or black Wheatstone Daisy, the gold on black Lachenal 'L'; and the dot & cross in gold on white or black, I have now available working quantities of a truly faithful Jeffries pattern, sufficiently precise as to even include the printing flaw that the original Jeffries plates had.so if anyone is interested, let me know.

photos are attached

Dave E

post-162-0-29158500-1347379036_thumb.jpg

post-162-0-85662500-1347379162_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As most people know, I have being building up a selection of accurate and faithful restoration standard papers of the rarer bellows papers, or the papers where those currently available could be improved.

To add to the gold on white or black Wheatstone Daisy, the gold on black Lachenal 'L'; and the dot & cross in gold on white or black, I have now available working quantities of a truly faithful Jeffries pattern, sufficiently precise as to even include the printing flaw that the original Jeffries plates had.so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Dave - I have the "L" Lachenal papers on a new set of Jowaisas bellows and they are truly beautiful. The instrument never fails to garner admiration.

Dave - I have the "L" Lachenal papers on a new set of Jowaisas bellows and they are truly beautiful. The instrument never fails to garner admiration.

Thanks Jim, I am glad they have worked out for you, I think that the Lachenal 'L' were probably the most stylish of all the different papers designs

regards

Dave

....remind me...How do you attach these papers?? the ubiquitious "white glue" or some other secret fomula?

Shelley,

When gluing on papers it is fairly important that you can get them off again,

the formula is not too secret, I use gum Arabic, or Gloy Gum as it was known. Gum sticks and holds, you have enough 'open' time to be able to slide the paper to a centralised position on the panel. The gum wipes off the leather so the leather work is not marked.

Dave

....remind me...How do you attach these papers?? the ubiquitious "white glue" or some other secret fomula?

Shelley,

the formula is not too secret, I use gum Arabic, or Gloy Gum as it was known. Gum sticks and holds, you have enough 'open' time to be able to slide the paper to a centralised position on the panel. The gum wipes off the leather so the leather work is not marked.

Dave

Shelley,

Dave

Any advice on removing old papers?

Don.

Dave

Dave

Would you recommend the application of a lacquer over the fitted papers?

If so, which?

Steve

attachment=7968:P1020869.JPG]

Pictures of Dave Elliott's "L" papers on newly made Jowaisas bellows with my latest fancy Lachenal gold stamp.

Greg

....so Greg, are these some new homeworked bellows that you made ?? wow, nice.... shelly

Removing the papers for disposal, or removing them to be reused?

Have the papers been laquered?

Dave

Disposal - I am thinking about replacing my papers with those beautiful black and gold ones pictured above :) .

Laquered - I don't know for sure, but it does not look like it to me, they are not shiny - just 'papery'-looking.

Don.

Shelly,

I'm sure you didn't mean to demean him by calling them "homeworked", but just so folks know, Greg is making top quality bellows in his own shop after making bellows for Carroll Concertinas for a number of years. He recently completed a lovely set of bellows for a me on a Jeffries that he fully resurrected from the dead, and it is now an instrument of both cosmetic and aural beauty: a real keeper! On mine and now on this latest Lachenal, Greg has gotten new and finer stamps for use in embossing the end runs, and the results are excellent.

If anybody needs a new bellows for their concertina here in the US, I would think that they couldn't do better than to contact Greg. Obviously, I am a very satisfied customer!!

Ross Schlabach

Shelly,

I'm sure you didn't mean to demean him by calling them "homeworked", but just so folks know, Greg is making top quality bellows in his own shop after making bellows for Carroll Concertinas for a number of years. He recently completed a lovely set of bellows for a me on a Jeffries that he fully resurrected from the dead, and it is now an instrument of both cosmetic and aural beauty: a real keeper! On mine and now on this latest Lachenal, Greg has gotten new and finer stamps for use in embossing the end runs, and the results are excellent.

If anybody needs a new bellows for their concertina here in the US, I would think that they couldn't do better than to contact Greg. Obviously, I am a very satisfied customer!!

Ross Schlabach

Thanks Ross. Let's all remember that this thread is about Dave Elliott's bellows papers which he has researched, developed and made available to us all at no small an expense of time and energy and money. I have found his Lachenal "L" papers and Wheatstone "daisies" to be an excellent product and not only a complement to but an inspriration to get the gold stamping right.

Thanks Dave.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I'm sure you didn't mean to demean him by calling them "homeworked",

RP3, you are absolutely correct that I did not have any derogatory intentions in my "homeworked" comment. I thought it sounded BETTER than saying "homemade" ????? But I'm a crafter, so none of these terms are derogatory in my circles. I am admiring this bit of craftiness--to make these things of beauty out of a hunk of leather.....amazing; the geometry of the angles befuddles me. Gotta' admire that skill. And Greg is correct, we need to thank Dave in his workmanship to preserve these beautiful papers. I hate to think of them becoming totally unavailable, just because it is such a small population segment that uses them. I like to just contemplate about Dave's research for papers of the various makes of concertina. Thanks Dave! Its a little corner of extra richness in our tiny concertina world. Shelly

I'm sure you didn't mean to demean him by calling them "homeworked",

RP3, you are absolutely correct that I did not have any derogatory intentions in my "homeworked" comment. I thought it sounded BETTER than saying "homemade" ????? But I'm a crafter, so none of these terms are derogatory in my circles. I am admiring this bit of craftiness--to make these things of beauty out of a hunk of leather.....amazing; the geometry of the angles befuddles me. Gotta' admire that skill. And Greg is correct, we need to thank Dave in his workmanship to preserve these beautiful papers. I hate to think of them becoming totally unavailable, just because it is such a small population segment that uses them. I like to just contemplate about Dave's research for papers of the various makes of concertina. Thanks Dave! Its a little corner of extra richness in our tiny concertina world. Shelly

Shelly,

the key thing is that these papers were extinct, none available, lost to the community - and I was spending hours on restoring fine instruments to fit either wrong or (to my mind) less than complementary papers, Hence my mini crusade to fill the obvious omission in the resources of the repairing & restoring community. The project was to fulfil my own sense of 'rightness' on my own work, and to provide the papers of a good grade, at an affordable cost, to others. So far I have spent around £2,000 on plates, and print runs . The work is not yet finished. I have three more designs on the go. However it is only when I see the papers on the fine bellows produced by Greg and others that I get the buzz. I guess I expect to see them on my own output Its the fact that others are finding the papers worthwhile too that brings satisfaction.

Someone asked about lacquering, If I am lacquering, I use Tandy's 'Master quick shine', but it depends on the papers, the client preference, and the instrument. I see it as a mater of choice, not necessity.

And to Greg,

bloody well done mate!!

Dave