Beginner Looking for English Concertina

Woodsman

For others to answer, but Woodsman says that he already plays the accordion so I wondered if he might be better advised to buy a duet rather than an English?

Depends on what he wants to do with it.

Did he say he wants something as similar to the accordion as possible? Maybe he wants something different, instead? He did, after all, say he wanted an English, rather than asking what kind he should want.

But Woodsman himself is the best person to answer your question. :)

For others to answer, but Woodsman says that he already plays the accordion so I wondered if he might be better advised to buy a duet rather than an English?

Depends on what he wants to do with it.

Did he say he wants something as similar to the accordion as possible? Maybe he wants something different, instead? He did, after all, say he wanted an English, rather than asking what kind he should want.

But Woodsman himself is the best person to answer your question. :)

I asked the question because Woodsman already plays the accordion (piano I assume) and would be used to playing melody with his right hand and harmony with his left. A friend who plays the piano gave up on the concertina because she could not get used to the idea that the melody moved between the the hands.

I doubt that Woodsman knows what a Duet concertina is, so Jim's suggestion that he would be the best person to answer does not make sense. I was hoping that an accordionist turned concertina player might have an insight to offer.

Don.

I was hoping that an accordionist turned concertina player might have an insight to offer.

This has been discussed already - no surprise... B)

Being one of those renegades myself I'd put it this way:

A player who finds the stradella bass the biggest "pro" of his PA might be served better by on of the "Duet" conertina systems.

Apart from that he has got the choice; and whoever'd like to try out the EC then may got ahead with it (resp. with "her")!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that I have purchased and received a Lachenal treble EC from Greg Jowaisas. Greg has gone over the top with helpful advice, service and flexibility. I am still getting used to my first EC, haven't fully decided how well it will work for me but I will definitely give it some time and effort. One person suggested a duet; I might consider that in future but actually I look forward to the challenge of the different fingering system--a brain stimulus project for me. It's a beautiful little instrument.

Thanks to all who offered advice. Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of Lachenals with good, responsive brass reeds (not all brass reed instruments play as well as these two)that are available for $600 and $700 + shipping (4-fold and 5-fold bellows repectively) In tune, airtight bellows, refurbished with new pads and valves and playing well. You can personal message me or email: gjowaisas (type @) insightbb.com

The Jackie offers good value for an entry level instrument but for the extra money these two concertinas offer a traditional concertina sound and an instrument that will take you into the intermediate level of playing.

Greg

Just a note to confirm that I am happy with my Lachenal concertina, purchased from you, Greg; and particularly for all the extra efforts you made to make sure everything functions as it should, from the pre-purchase information, to the shipping, and the follow-up. (Feel free to use this as a testimonial.)

I am enjoying the challenge of learning the EC fingering--it feels like I am 6 years old again (instead of 73) and starting piano lessons. The fingers are grudgingly and with many goof-ups, yielding to the new patterns. I love the sound of the instrument, and can sense that it has good potential for sweet music, once I get the hang of it.

All the best, Keith

I have a couple of Lachenals with good, responsive brass reeds (not all brass reed instruments play as well as these two)that are available for $600 and $700 + shipping (4-fold and 5-fold bellows repectively) In tune, airtight bellows, refurbished with new pads and valves and playing well. You can personal message me or email: gjowaisas (type @) insightbb.com

The Jackie offers good value for an entry level instrument but for the extra money these two concertinas offer a traditional concertina sound and an instrument that will take you into the intermediate level of playing.

Greg

Just a note to confirm that I am happy with my Lachenal concertina, purchased from you, Greg; and particularly for all the extra efforts you made to make sure everything functions as it should, from the pre-purchase information, to the shipping, and the follow-up. (Feel free to use this as a testimonial.)

I am enjoying the challenge of learning the EC fingering--it feels like I am 6 years old again (instead of 73) and starting piano lessons. The fingers are grudgingly and with many goof-ups, yielding to the new patterns. I love the sound of the instrument, and can sense that it has good potential for sweet music, once I get the hang of it.

All the best, Keith

You are welcome, Keith. I'm glad I could help with your concertina adventure.

Squeeze on!

Greg

• 1 month later...

Greg

Do you still have these? I live in Indy and am looking for a beginner instrument.

Greg

Do you still have these? I live in Indy and am looking for a beginner instrument.

Clund,

I can help. You can personal message me by clicking my name in the upper left hand corner which takes you to a cnet memebers personal account site. Or email me at: gjowaisas (type @)insightbb.com

Welcome to concertina.net and the concertina adventure!

Greg