Royal Concertinas

Players of all systems and and levels of ability are welcome to attend our monthly meetings.

As a change from the usual noisy anglo players session our gathering in October will be trying some concertina band arrangements provided by Dave Elliott.It is hoped we can play band pieces on a regular basis and in the future repeat our successful concertina band day which Jeremy Hague organised for us in 2011.Neil Wayne will also be bringing along his collection of Henry Stanley music arranged for the Maccann Duet for the late Reuben Shaw.I will also bring along some Stanley music written for the English concertina.

The Royal Hotel,Dungworth, where we meet, is a friendly establishment noted for its pies, which will be available on the night.Email me for directions or further details.Dungworth is approximately 4 miles north east of Sheffield City Centre and there is a regular bus service that goes past the door of the pub.

Mark Davies

Email:edeophone@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...

Our special guest on Tuesday 2nd October will be Marie Robson,a very fine English concertina player who was a pupil of the late great English concertina player Gordon Cutty of Kelloe,County Durham.Gordon made a record for the Topic/Free Reed Label and was a great supporter of the Concertina Conventions held in the 1970's.I've not heard Marie play for over 40 years so it will be nice to meet her again.Admission is of course free and pies are available.Get there before 8.00pm if you want to eat and get a seat

Players of all systems and and levels of ability are welcome to attend our monthly meetings.

I would love to attend, and it may even be possible, with some help.

I'm arriving at Manchester airport that afternoon, so I need to find

1. a way to get to the session, and
  2. a place to stay after the session, before I continue on to Newcastle and eventually to the Arran Concertina Event.

Responses by PM or post would be most welcome (though I'll be incommunicado for a day or so as I return to Denmark from the US).

[*]a place to stay after the session, before I continue on to Newcastle and eventually to the Arran Concertina Event.

Responses by PM or post would be most welcome (though I'll be incommunicado for a day or so as I return to Denmark from the US).

Mike S W is better than me for Sheffield info local Jim but yr route is a bit cryptic with too many options.

Are you going to Newcastle/Arran by car (only one hour by car from Mcr Airport to Dungworth)

Regular Trains from Mcr airport to Sheffield (some direct trains) take 1hr.13 up to 1.29 and cost about 16 quid (depending on when u book - see nationalrail.com ) and if you miss the bus from Shefffield to Dungworth (http://www.royalhotel-dungworth.co.uk/directions.php) a taxi may be an option and the Royal does a cheap (cheaper than in Sheffield anyway)B&B and I assume they won't be full in this season.

Then u can train up to Newcastle, unless u are in car...... or are u flying from newce.... or u could fly to glasgow and taxi to the ferry (30 quid it seems.{http://www.mainland-taxis.co.uk/fares}..but assume u have all that nearby info from Sam.

Or are you flying - ???

u can pm if u like

Edited by Kautilya

...yr route is a bit cryptic with too many options.

Ah, it's been so long since I've had a car -- and hire cars are too much trouble -- that I didn't think of specifying... train, bus, and the like.

But your comments helped me focus my search now that I'm back home where I can do that easily. I'm scheduled to arrive at Manchester Airport at 3:20 pm, so the train-bus combination looks good, and I should even have time to put in my order for a pie and a pint before things start. (Which is when? Mark's announcement didn't say, and some announcements of previous events at the Royal say 8:00 pm, while others say 9:00 pm. No matter, though. I should be there a bit early in any case.) I'm really looking forward to it.

I also plan to get to Newcastle, Arran, and elsewhere by train/bus. I already have my rail card. :)

I would love to attend, and it may even be possible...

It was possible, and I had a great time, from Neil Wayne's show and tell of the Henry Stanley arrangements (and more) to Marie (last name?) telling about learning from Gordon Cutty and playing some lovely arrangements on the English... and of course, the playing of all and sundry.

It was especially grand meeting in person various folks I had previously known only from the internet... also Neil, whom I didn't recognize at first because we last met face to face in 1975. :o Many thanks to everyone. :)

I'm now plotting ways to return to the Royal... many times, I hope. But tomorrow it's on to the ACE. ;)

"...a regular bus service that goes past the door"

Of what use is the bus if it doesn't stop?

Oh, it did stop, just a few meters past the door. B)

Good!

I presume, timewise, it was just after the English YARD arm...

What bar had the bus got up to when it stopped playing...?

"MTV Music Meter

The MTV Music Meter is a music discovery experience. Our front door is a daily list of the top 100 artists trending right now. How is the ranking determined?

mtvmusicmeter.com"

Trust you will be playing Stormy Weather as you head north....

You of all people should know tune lad

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Tune-weather/Sjelland/DK.aspx

And for a summery rendition from our own parish

if concertinas are banned on trains and buses here are some words:

Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky

Stormy weather since my man and I ain't together

Keeps raining all the time, the time

Life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere

Stormy weather, just can't get my poor self together

It's raining all the time, the time

When you went, you went away, the blues walked in and met me

If he stays away, ol' rocking chair will get me

All I do is pray, the Lord above will let me walk in the sun once more

Can't go on, everything I had is gone

It's raining all the time

I walk around, heavy-hearted and sad

Night comes around and I'm still feeling bad

Rain's pouring down, blinding every hope I had

This pitterin pattering, beating and spattering drives Me Mad

Love, Love, Love, this misery's just too much for me

Can't go on, everything I have is gone

It's raining all the time, keeps raining all the time

And less well known:

STORMY WEATHER, BOYS

We were laying in Surrey Dock one day.

The mate knew that it was time to get under way.

cho: Stormy weather, boys, stormy weather, boys,

When the wild blows our barge will go.

He's homeward bound but he's out of luck

'Cause the skipper's half drunk in the Dog and Gun

Then the skipper came aboard with the girl on his arm

He's going to give up barging and take a farm.

So the mate ran forrard and the cook fell in the drains

And the skipper caught his knackers in the mains

The mate's at the wheel and he gybed her twice

'Cause the skipper's got his knackers in a bowl of ice

At last we're off down Limehouse Reach,

When our leeboards knocked on Greenwich Beach

The barge went ashore and scared our whore.

She said:"Chuck this, I'm off ashore."

We shoved her off and away we go,

But the skipper's got a bottle of beer below.

She fills away and she sails like heck

But there ain't no bargemen up on deck.

There's a crash and a bump and she's ashore

The mate says: "Christ, we're on the Nore."

Then up comes a mermaid covered in mud

The skipper says: "I think we're on the Whittaker Spit"

Then up comes another one covered in slime

So we took her down the focsle and had a time.

On the top of the tide the barge did fleet,

When the mate sees a ghost on the tops'l sheet

So away we go and the ghost did steer,

And the cook drank the dregs of the old man's beer.

We laid close-hauled round Orford Ness,

When the wind backed round to the south sou'west

We reached our port all safe and sound

And tied her up in Yarmouth Town.

So after all our fears and alarms

We all ended up in the Druid's Arms.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/u/unknownlyrics/stormyweatherboyslyrics.html

dots

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=back.numachi.com:8000/dtrad/abc_dtrad.tar.gz/abc_dtrad/STRMYWTH/0000

(many other toons at abcnotation.com and (John Chambers) http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/