Does anything happen in the London area?

.......one was rather shocked that I knew about the session, & had a fair bit to say about how "private" they like to keep it (so I more or less didn't bother anyone after that).

Blimey! That's news to me. I wonder who that could have been. I was at this session with my partner Doreen (we both play Englishes); and if you had introduced yourself, I would have been delighted to make your acquaintance. This monthly session, organised by anglo player Martin Nail, which has been going on for more years than I care to remember in various pubs in the Borough part of London, is certainly not private. It's open to anyone who plays mainly English traditional folk music to a reasonable standard. (no Irish stuff, please - you can find that going on in just about any other pub in London!)

Last sunday was the final session of the year, and was combined with a wake for a sadly departed long standing session member, melodeon player Doug Adams, who unfortunately died from cancer in September. The pub was heaving, with lots of musicians, 3 Morris sides and friends of Doug in attendance. We had a great time. The organiser, another anglo player, Sarah Crofts, commented afterwards, that she'd not seen so many musicians at this session, since it was held at The Goose and Firkin, some 15 years ago. I am sorry that after you made that special effort to fly over to the November session, all the way from the southern hemisphere, you weren't made welcome.

Chris

You could also try the Lord Hood in Greenwich every Tuesday, 9pm on (a couple of minutes walk from the Cutty Sark DLR station). I was there last month; I'd been before on one a previous occasion when I was in London. Friendly crowd, the music is is 80% trad English and the rest Scottish and Continental (which is a mix that suits me fine).

I'd guess the nearest session to the Torres Strait would either be Port Moresby or one of the cities in northern Queensland. But you shouldn't need to cross the equator to find one.

Hmm, I remember a couple of "Englishes", a possible duet or two, a couple of Anglos, some violins, a guitar or two, a piano accordion, a couple of people picked up fluts or something now & then, there were a couple of what I presume are melodeons (I've never seen one in the flesh) and of all things, a saxaphone!

I had a great time, & they even played two tunes I'd heard before: "Running Bear" and "Joe the Boat is Going Over" (at least, that's the name I know them by.)

By & large it was somewhat of a cacophony, & if it wasn't for the fellow down the far end with the Melodoen (are they melodeons?) and the saxaphone, it really would have been a sound one couldn't have taken for more than a quarter of an hour of so.

I've now experienced something I've only read about on this site, the phenomenon of a concertina sounding much different to the player than it does to the audience. I actually didn't recognise the sound of the concertina to begin with.

I did have somewhat of a hankering to hear (for once in my life) a lone anglo played - English style, without any other instruments accompanying. This can be something to look forward to if I ever again get near to a "session".

"Pub sessions are not that rare" Says Geoff Woof. Hehe, perhaps in England they're not! I've been in plent of pubs in my life, and until I lucked onto this site, I'd never heard of the phenomenon! I've experienced one session once, a couple of thousand km from home, thanks to another member of this site. But it was a totally different to the session at the Horseshoe.

And that's another thing, that Horsehoe Arms pub is rather difficult to find. I near wore out a set of shoe leather looking for the place. Nobody that I asked directions of had heard of it, and I only came to the place by accident, I'd given up & was shortcutting back to London Bridge station when it appeared in front of me.

There's about 10 acres there with more pubs to the acre than I've seen in my life!

Popping in to a session wasn't the reason I was that far from home, and it was pure chance that Sunday afternoon was free, so I took the opportunity. I was there a week, and spent most of the time ensconced in the Hilton in Mayfair, or at the suburbs of Lancaster Gate, Wood Green, Cockfosters, or Guildford, deep in intense meetings. Guildford was my favourite, as it ...er.. dare I say so.. it felt more English, and possessed a much more pleasant and depressurised ambience.

I'm most grateful that my ancestors were convicted and transported, as the weather was most unpleasant.

You could also try the Lord Hood in Greenwich every Tuesday, 9pm on (a couple of minutes walk from the Cutty Sark DLR station). I was there last month; I'd been before on one a previous occasion when I was in London. Friendly crowd, the music is is 80% trad English and the rest Scottish and Continental (which is a mix that suits me fine).

I'd guess the nearest session to the Torres Strait would either be Port Moresby or one of the cities in northern Queensland. But you shouldn't need to cross the equator to find one.

Jack - does that mean you have been and come and gone?? - wot a pity was looking forward to seeing u both again since Whitby and checking out the Hood and running you both over there in the car....anyway tks for confirming I should try to go over - they did have some pretty interesting Burns/New Yr bashes at different pubs last year.

Edited by Kautilya