Concertina tutors

well, you can "contact players" here for advice on starting out, though people sometimes worry that there's no good way to be assured that you are getting good input, and there is some merit to that concern, though there is lots of good input that flows as well....

but did you mean, "name" players who teach? there are threads on this site about skype teaching opportunities, and there are a number of such opportunities....there is one outfit in ireland offering tutorials in various instruments online/skype and you can avail yourself of an introductory free Anglo lesson with Ernestine Healy any time through that....

What would you regard as an excellent tutor/instruction method for the beginning anglo player or beginning English player? Also, what ways are there to contact players to get some good advice on starting out? Thanks.

Charviol,

Where are you in Arkansas? I'm in Fayetteville and have played English and Anglo (and Jeffries Duet) for years and would be more than happy to meet up sometime and talk you through the various systems. For English concertina, try downloading the Frank Butler tutor from www.concertina.com. Anglo's quite the different animal, depending on what styles of music you want to play. Most of the older Anglo tutors are not that helpful, there are some for Irish traditional and oldtime music, and hopefully I'll have one out by Christmas on playing Anglo in the harmonic style, often called the "English style" since it's what you hear in English Country Music and Morris Dance Music.

You also might want to come to the Old Palestine Concertina Weekend in East Texas, usually held the last weekend of March (www.oldpalmusic.com). Lots of good teaching, lots of different players and instruments.

Send me a PM and we'll figure out how to compare notes!

Gary

Gary, that would be fantastic. I have e-mailed you. I am also looking for a BC Irish accordion, but I truly believe the concertina, whatever kind, is just a matter of time. I think it would be a blast to learn. Many thanks!

I have been using Pauline De Snoo's English Concertina Course from concertina-academy.com. She produces one for the English and the Anglo concertina's. It is the best I've found by a considerable margin.. The Frank Butler tutor is considered a classic but I find the other suits my needs best. You might look at the postings under Teaching and Learning on C'net for more thoughts.

So far as Anglo is concerned, it depends very much on what style you want to play - see the other thread on anglo styles for more information. They broadly divide into "harmonic playing" where the melody is played on the right hand (in the instrument's upper register) and accompaniment on the left, and "melodic playing" where you play mostly just a melody line in the middle-range of the instrument across both left and right sides. The techniques are quite different, although there are of course commonalities.

I can't recommend specific tutors as I've never used one, just worked it out by trial and (mostly) error.

There are quite a few resources including the Frank Butler tutor over at http://www.concertina.com/english/ free for down loading.

As someone who was interested in learning the English concertina for accompanying folks songs I found Roger Watson's 'The first complete tutor for the English Concertina' very helpful - not jam packed with tunes, but it does build your ability in manageable steps from starter to knowing enough to start arranging yourself. In the same folk vein worth knowing that Dick Miles has written 'The Concise English Concertina A tutor' - I would suggest this is more of an intermediate level tutor unless you are very musical and pick things up quickly. Dick has also produced a second volume focused on arrangments to songs which takes things to the next level - both available from http://www.dickmiles.com/

Once you get started almost any tutor is likely to be of interest - I have just acquired the Salvation Army tutor for English concertina and some of the tunes and arrangments are really engaging and interesting (and sound good too!).

Also worth looking at you tube to get a better feel for skills such as bellows control etc Elsewhere on this website are highlights other members have identified.

When I was learning to play the English concertina, I used both the tutor that came with the Jackie and the Frank Butler tutor.

However, my favorite tutor is "Conquering the Concertina" by Les Branchett from Sherborne House Publications, 23 Spa Road, Gloucester, GL1 1UY. It has a great selection of folk tunes and arpeggio exercises in several keys. When you are just beginning, the Frank Butler tutor gives a good foundation for learning the notes, but I like the tunes better in Branchett's.

I also own the two Dick Miles tutors, but found them difficult as a beginner. You can download the Alistair Anderson tutor from a concertina site (I cannot remember where). It includes hornpipes, jigs, and reels; I have not used it much since I cannot play fast tunes well.

There is a series of youtube videos by "nytram" on learning to play the English concertina. I enjoyed those at the same time I used the tutors.

Hi

My favourite English Concertina tutor is "Contemplating the Concertina" by Allan Atlas. I found that that it is advanced and I found it good to to learn all the notes. A few books are here http://www.buttonbox.com/learn-to-play-concertina.html

For the beginner I find that Frank Butler is very good, but now I find it too easy. It is available here

http://www.concertina.com/butler/butler-the-concertina-tutor.pdf

I also like the book "New Method for the Concertina" by Giulio Regondi.

I bet I will be downloading several tutors along the way, along with the ones I will consult rather soon: The Anglo Concertina Demystified and the out-of-print tome by Alistair Anderson. Yes, it appears I will be bi-concertinish within a week. I knew this would happen - and I'm excited about it. We will see how this plays out, so to speak...