What are the different styles of playing?

What are the major differences between styles ?

And what are the styles of playing?

Shouldn't those questions be in the reverse order?

And are you inquiring about different styles on the anglo, different styles on the English, etc., or different styles like tunes vs. vocal accompaniment, or Irish folk vs. Swedish folk vs. jazz vs. hard rock, or...? :unsure:

What are the major differences between styles ?

And what are the styles of playing?

Shouldn't those questions be in the reverse order?

And are you inquiring about different styles on the anglo, different styles on the English, etc., or different styles like tunes vs. vocal accompaniment, or Irish folk vs. Swedish folk vs. jazz vs. hard rock, or...? :unsure:

Oh sorry for any confusion, I should say just on the Anglo for now as its what I'm trying to learn, I was reading the Alan Day pdf and he writes

"after I finished the first side a number of people werer showing interest in English style"

But what defines English style as such? and what other styles are there?

Edited by halimium

I would recommend Anglo International 3CD set it is dedicated to different Anglo styles of playing.

It will show you the capabilities of the Anglo.

Available from Roots Records Coventry, Button Box America ,or any of the artists featured will sell you one.

Al

I would recommend Anglo International 3CD set it is dedicated to different Anglo styles of playing. It will show you the capabilities of the Anglo. Available from Roots Records Coventry, Button Box America ,or any of the artists featured will sell you one.

Al

I agree with Alan's recommendation - Anglo International is a great album that will show you many approaches to the Anglo. But I'll try to answer your question too.

1. English Style: English traditional dance tunes (morris or country). Generally melody on the right hand, accompaniment on the left. Often played on G/D instruments. Often a bouncy sound with lots of changes of direction. William Kimber (long ago), John Kirkpatrick, Brian Peters, John Watcham, Alan Day, Jody Kruskal (an American who plays American tunes in this style) and many others. Some players (Kirkpatrick, Peters, John Roberts, etc.) also accompany their own singing in a similar style.
  2. Modern Irish style. Traditional Irish dance tunes, especially reels, jigs and hornpipes. Highly ornamented with grace notes ("cuts"), triplets, "rolls", etc.. Lots of switching between the C and G rows Much less self-accompaniment then English style, and a smoother sound. Style developed by Paddy Murphy, inspired by the recordings of William Mullally. Noel Hill, Micheal O Raghallaigh, Edel Fox and many, many others.
  3. Irish "along the rows" style. Same tunes as in (2), but less ornamentation and less row-switching. I don't know who's playing this way now, but the late Kitty Hayes and many others of her generation and earlier played this way.
  4. Boeremusiek (Afrikaner/white South African) style. Traditional dance tunes of their culture and modern, more chromatic tunes (waltzes etc.) too. Often use a 40-button Anglo for the more chromatic sound. I don't understand the technique well enough to describe it, but it doesn't sound like anything else.
  5. Zulu/squashbox style. Most often uses the concertina to accompany songs/chants. Concertina often used as a drone/rhythm instrument more than a melody instrument.
  6. Octave style. Recently re-discovered by Dan Worrall, who says that it was the dominant style in much of the Anglo-playing world long ago. Melody played in octaves to accompany dancing.

That's what comes to mind in the way of traditions that I know about. But there are lots of individual styles too. Harry Scurfield plays blues, Alan Lochhead plays American Sousa-type marches, etc. Anglo International is a good place to hear a variety of this. There's a lot of it on YouTube now too.

Hello

Daniel, I think your verbal descriptions are good and useful. For Irish traditional music, in Fintan Vallely's "Irish Traditional Music" which is like an encyclopedia there is a section on the concertina that breaks down the different styles according to counties. It is interesting to read about it but I think the best way to learn about styles and the music is to listen. I think the question is best answered in aural form.

Richard

Edited by richard

I would recommend Anglo International 3CD set it is dedicated to different Anglo styles of playing. It will show you the capabilities of the Anglo. Available from Roots Records Coventry, Button Box America ,or any of the artists featured will sell you one.

Al

I agree with Alan's recommendation - Anglo International is a great album that will show you many approaches to the Anglo. But I'll try to answer your question too.

1. English Style: English traditional dance tunes (morris or country). Generally melody on the right hand, accompaniment on the left. Often played on G/D instruments. Often a bouncy sound with lots of changes of direction. William Kimber (long ago), John Kirkpatrick, Brian Peters, John Watcham, Alan Day, Jody Kruskal (an American who plays American tunes in this style) and many others. Some players (Kirkpatrick, Peters, John Roberts, etc.) also accompany their own singing in a similar style.
  2. Modern Irish style. Traditional Irish dance tunes, especially reels, jigs and hornpipes. Highly ornamented with grace notes ("cuts"), triplets, "rolls", etc.. Lots of switching between the C and G rows Much less self-accompaniment then English style, and a smoother sound. Style developed by Paddy Murphy, inspired by the recordings of William Mullally. Noel Hill, Micheal O Raghallaigh, Edel Fox and many, many others.
  3. Irish "along the rows" style. Same tunes as in (2), but less ornamentation and less row-switching. I don't know who's playing this way now, but the late Kitty Hayes and many others of her generation and earlier played this way.
  4. Boeremusiek (Afrikaner/white South African) style. Traditional dance tunes of their culture and modern, more chromatic tunes (waltzes etc.) too. Often use a 40-button Anglo for the more chromatic sound. I don't understand the technique well enough to describe it, but it doesn't sound like anything else.
  5. Zulu/squashbox style. Most often uses the concertina to accompany songs/chants. Concertina often used as a drone/rhythm instrument more than a melody instrument.
  6. Octave style. Recently re-discovered by Dan Worrall, who says that it was the dominant style in much of the Anglo-playing world long ago. Melody played in octaves to accompany dancing.

That's what comes to mind in the way of traditions that I know about. But there are lots of individual styles too. Harry Scurfield plays blues, Alan Lochhead plays American Sousa-type marches, etc. Anglo International is a good place to hear a variety of this. There's a lot of it on YouTube now too.

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for, I understand a bit more now :)

I would recommend Anglo International 3CD set it is dedicated to different Anglo styles of playing.

It will show you the capabilities of the Anglo.

Available from Roots Records Coventry, Button Box America ,or any of the artists featured will sell you one.

Al

Thanks I will look for that album.

I am trying to learn the Oscar Woods jig as you play it on your tuition mp3/pdf.. I just can't get that jumpy bouncy sound so far and its driving me to play incessantly for hours... arrghhh :D

But thanks for those lessons anyway :)