Early wear and tear on a Rochelle

Hi folks. I ave a Rochelle 30b anglo I have been renting from the Button Box since the end of June. It was new out of the box when I rented it. I have played it every day for about an hour a day since then. :)

I noticed that one of the reeds was "sticking" the other day. The button and pad seemed fine (I could see the pad in there moving freely) but it was as if it was a bit clogged. Maybe the leather valve at the reed? Also I know sometimes little bits can jam the reed so i just kept playing. It has pretty much worked itself out, but that problem made me take a closer look at the instrument overall. I noticed that the innermost buttons on the C rows, left and right index finger position, are wearing a bit on the sides. I think I must pull those buttons laterally a bit when I play them and they are scraping against the side of the hole. That dust, which i can see a bit of around the hole, may be what's getting stuck in the reed too, I suppose.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is this something I need to worry about changing in terms of how I'm playing? I don't feel like I am putting that much lateral pressure on those buttons, but I shall try to be more aware of it as I play.

Thanks!

From what I can remember from when I had a Rochelle, it has quite a crude "see saw" action and that means it is inevitable that the sides of the buttons will chafe slightly. It is a question of geometry, and very unlikely to be anything about how you're playing it. It is a beginner's instrument and most beginner's instruments are designed to be used a dozen time before going under the stairs with the unicycle, judo suit, rowing machine and other "fsds". In those rare cases where a beginner's instrument is played regularly, the beginner usually gets a strong urge to upgrade. That's what I did. :-)

From what I can remember from when I had a Rochelle, it has quite a crude "see saw" action and that means it is inevitable that the sides of the buttons will chafe slightly. It is a question of geometry, and very unlikely to be anything about how you're playing it.

The Rochelle, Jackie and Elise actually have riveted actions. Here's a pic of the Jackie action from the Concertina Connection website.

jackie%20action.JPG

It is a beginner's instrument and most beginner's instruments are designed to be used a dozen time before going under the stairs with the unicycle, judo suit, rowing machine and other "fsds". In those rare cases where a beginner's instrument is played regularly, the beginner usually gets a strong urge to upgrade.

I don't know about "most beginner's instruments", but my Elise has had lots of heavy use and still works fine. I just took a look at it and couldn't spot any sidewise button wear, so it may be a matter of technique after all. That said, I'm not sure that the wear is anything to worry about.

FWIW I spoke to the good folks at the Button Box. Doug 'splained to me that this wear happens all the time and very quickly with the Rochelles, and they have extra replacement buttons there just for that reason. A bushed hole would probably help, but so would more stable action. Anyway it isn't just me.

PHEW! :D