Satie

catty

I didn't see anything on youtube (for concertina)

I played the more popular Gymnopadies and Gnossiennes on guitar for 20 years or more--although these are quite popular arranged for guitar, the Gnossienne (No 1, particulalry) leaves something to be desired on guitar. So I learned to play them on piano (which is of course best). Currently I play them on melodeon...but the Gnossienne No 3--I was unable (so far) to arrange on melodeon, so I put it on the anglo c.--on which I was surprsed how particularly well it does

Haven't figured that out yet...sorry

I wasn't even able to figure out how to run my OLD computer's recording program...I can't even edit photos on this one!

Still, I'd be surprised if no one else is playing these...I'm sure someone (with more tech wherewithal than me) will provide us with a nice anglo-cized recording

I learned it from this:

nice and easy to play on the C/G 30b...although it would be especially nice to have more bass notes for a piece like this, etc...one of the challenges (and fun) of arranging for concertina

Edited by catty

On the piano Satie is haunting and ethereal. Delicate, even, without being precious.

On the piano accordion Satie sounds heavy and lugubrious. Muddy. This might be because of the heavy left hand.

I am not a fan of the PA in any case.

Compare to this, for instance:

I learned it from this:

On the piano Satie is haunting and ethereal. Delicate, even, without being precious.

On the piano accordion Satie sounds heavy and lugubrious. Muddy. This might be because of the heavy left hand.

I am not a fan of the PA in any case.

I have heard a more effective performance of the Gnossienne #1 on PA, taken a little faster and with more rubato. But if you don't like the PA...

Why the opportunity to render on concertina is so effective

Yes, but one must be careful: As on the accordion, the left hand can overpower the right. In working out the Gnossienne #1 for Hayden Duet Concertina, I found I had to adapt what Satie had written for the left hand (long bass notes starting by themselves but with chords overlying the latter portions) and halt each bass note when the chord sounds.

...I found I had to adapt...

The only instrument for which I didn't adapt written arrangements of the Gnossiennes and Gymns was piano (I arranged adaptations for guitar, melodeons, anglo concertina). Arranging is half the fun

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous on the piano:

There are a number of clips of Satie's music on Youtube, as well as a good deal of commentary.

The Trois Gymnopedies are also lovely. You can hear Ravel coming.

Has anyone the dots or abc for these? I have not heard them since undergrad so many years ago and have longed for them since.

Gorgeous on the piano:

There are a number of clips of Satie's music on Youtube, as well as a good deal of commentary.

The Trois Gymnopedies are also lovely. You can hear Ravel coming.

Has anyone the dots or abc for these? I have not heard them since undergrad so many years ago and have longed for them since.

They're all there to take, FOC, on the Petrucci Library. Hurrah!