Concertina like instrument marked J W Moffat

What do people make of this strange beast listed on eBay? It has an almost DIY/prototype look about it. Whilst it follows the overall look of other early rectangular instruments, the arrangement of 5 keys on one side and 9+1 on the other is perhaps unusual.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-wooden-concertina-/190717060497?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item2c679f6591

J W Moffat is not listed in Wes Williams survey of less well known makers. Is this the name of a dealer, here applied to a locally produced/imported instrument?

What do people make of this strange beast listed on eBay? It has an almost DIY/prototype look about it. Whilst it follows the overall look of other early rectangular instruments, the arrangement of 5 keys on one side and 9+1 on the other is perhaps unusual.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c679f6591

J W Moffat is not listed in Wes Williams survey of less well known makers. Is this the name of a dealer, here applied to a locally produced/imported instrument?

Yes, the unmatched sides are unusual. Other than that it looks like an example of the earliest type of German concertina. I would guess that it's German made and that Moffat was a dealer/importer.

Myrtle,

For what it is worth - a few thoughts.

This kind of concertina is on an old 1856 painting - with the square buttons and limited number of buttons.

The fact that there are 4 in stead of 5 buttons on the inner row may suggest that it is really old - it does not follow rules like having 5 buttons per row...

Like others already mentioned - this looks like a very early German concertina made - first half of the 19th century. The rectangular shaped concertina already existed before the hexagonal shape came in. it is possible that this one has been made later - but it as one of the oldest concertina models.

J W Moffatt "minories london" was an instrument dealer in London, putting his stamp on instruments he sold - I guess that he did not make these instruments himself - there is quite a range of instruments with his stamp on it - such as concertina's, violins, guitars, horns and clarinets. Moffatt also is mentioned as editor or seller of the book: Instruction Book for the Improved German Concertina, (London 1852-1855) as I read on this site.

The bellows looks as being old, and the stamps JW Moffatt make me think that it is old and not a reproduction - although the leather straps and the ends have a fresh look.

Hoping this helps,

Marien

edited to remove typo etc.

Edited by marien

Wow, this old german tina went on ebay for 686 GBP, much more than I had in mind...

For this one the price seems to depend more on the historical interest than the technical quality and playability.

Anyone here who is the lucky winner of this old beasty?

Marien

Wow, this old german tina went on ebay for 686 GBP, much more than I had in mind...

For this one the price seems to depend more on the historical interest than the technical quality and playability.

Indeed!

A fourfold jump in price in the last 5 seconds.

And it took at least two bidders (snipers, certainly) willing to pay a price in that range. I'm very curious as to who.

Indeed!

A fourfold jump in price in the last 5 seconds.

And it took at least two bidders (snipers, certainly) willing to pay a price in that range. I'm very curious as to who.

My usual suspects for this would be Harry Geuns, Stephen Chambers or Neil Wayne, but there are probably other collectors out there.