Auditory Survey

OK OK, we have a new clip without the reverb this time.

I suppose that make the comments of Malcom and Jim moot at this point. Perhaps they would be kind enough to tender a re-evaluation of this clip.... This time without the reverb.

Bob

NEW POLL

Does the following clip sound like:

1. an accordion

2. a concertina

http://members.cox.net/eskin2/sport.mp3

Perhaps one of the more computery/cognoscenti can create a real poll for me.

Bob Tedrow

Edited by Bob Tedrow

Certainly doesn't sound like an accordion to me.

Or do you mean does it sound like accordion reeded or conventional reeded concertina?

Sound reminiscent of a Concertina Connection anglo I recently heard, accordion reeded. (Sorry Bob, sorry Wim)

Of course, room acoustics of both where it was recorded and where it is played back may effect listeners' perception of any sound. And I'm sure that if I connected my computer up to a pair of Leslie speakers in a large hall it may sound quite different to what I'm hearing from my pair of $20 3" no-name cheapos in my very small office!

Anyway, put me down as an accordion reeded concertina vote.

Does this sound clip sound like:

1. an accordion

2. a concertina

.... ?

Tricky question, but the poll wouldn't have had a place for my answer, anyway. (Polls rarely do.)

.. 1) It sounds like a single-reeded instrument.

.. 2) The ornamentation is concertina-like.

.. 3) But any indication as to whether the reeds are concertina-style or accordion-style is swamped by the overpowering echo effect. (Is that created by electronics, computer enhancement, or playing in an empty mausoleum?)

Perhaps one of the more computery/cognoscenti can create a real poll for me.

Maybe later, if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

First I may have to hunt up some poll tacks, in order to attach the different response options. B)

(Truth is, I'm going down to see how the blackberries are ripening. :))

I already responded earlier today on the sound-clip in the Tunes Forum . The best answer I can give is that I am very positive about this clip!

This is the result of the player (my compliments Michael), the instrument (my compliments Bob) and the way the soundtrack was made and possibly edited (once again my complimets to Michael).

When I really have to make a comparison with existing instruments, I ask you to listen to the final note: that really sounds like uillean pipes!

Darn,

Michael beat me to the punch posting in the tunes forum.

btw, he has been playing concertina now for.......three or four days?

You will note there is no cut of my flute playing posted.

Bob

Edited by Bob Tedrow

The upper register still sounds a bit *round* to me. Could it be the reedblock material?? (aluminum?)

I may not have the right frame of reference. I my *local* weekly session I get to listen to one of the loudest and *barkyest* concertinas ever made (John Williams' Dipper). My Aeola is also quite loud (to the consternation of my fellow sessioneers).

Bob, don't take my comments as a *criticism*, just an observation. I've recommended your instruments on many occasions and just received an appreciative email this morning from a woman who recently purchased one of your instruments from Hogeye Music in Evanston, IL. Both John and I had referred her to Hogeye to check out your instruments. Keep up the good work.

(On another topic, what's the hot ticket for ukuleles these days, and can you recommend a website/discussion group??)

OK OK, we have a new clip without the reverb this time.

I suppose that make the comments of Malcom and Jim moot at this point. Perhaps they would be kind enough to tender a re-evaluation of this clip.... This time without the reverb.

Bob

NEW POLL

Does the following clip sound like:

1. an accordion

2. a concertina

It sounds like a concertina to me. More importantly, it sounds good. It is smooth and mostly centered with a natural reedy, sort of organic quality. It is kind of stupid to try to put words to a sound. I mean why describe a sound when you can just play it, except to describe what you like about it. Anyway, I like it.

Why are you asking?

Malcom and Jim ... Perhaps they would be kind enough to tender  a re-evaluation of this clip.... This time without the reverb.

Sure.

I would say that the sound of the individual notes is somewhere between what I think of as concertina and accordion sounds. I would say the same about my Ceili (Button Box anglo), though the sounds of the Ceili and Tedrow aren't identical. Nevertheless, both instruments definitely sound like "a concertina".

So there has to be more to it than the tonal quality of the individual notes. Careful listening leads me to target two factors. Ornamentation is one, and the other is the attack of the individual notes. I guess the latter is largely due to the way the instrument is held and the bellows and buttons are manipulated, though I wouldn't rule out the construction of the action or even the reeds. But it most definitely contributes to the fact that the sound clip sounds like a "concertina".

QUOTE (Bob Tedrow @ Aug 24 2004, 03:28 PM)

Malcom and Jim ... Perhaps they would be kind enough to tender a re-evaluation of this clip.... This time without the reverb.

Definitely sounds more like a traditionally reeded concertina without the reverb. Reminds me of a rosewood ended Wheatstone English I once owned, a little reedy, perhaps nasally, lacking a bit in lower mids, but that could be my speakers.

Sounds a bit like my Morse Ceili too, but, surprisingly, not at all like the Tedrow I recently sold, which had probably the closest to a traditional concertina sound of all the accordion reeded concertinas I've heard.

Which raises the question as to why I sold the Tedrow.... :o

The answer is that maybe I wasn't looking for a traditionally reeded concertina sound from an accordion reeded concertina! I chose to retain the Morse Ceili over the Tedrow because of the different tone.

Vive le difference!

Jim, Thanks for the article.

Bob, I couldn't get your clips to play. Problem is definitely at my end, my RealPlayer is outdated and/or corrupted.

I agree with Jim (that's 2 days in a row, a sign of the Apocalypse??) that the *clip* sounds like a concertina (Philosophically, how could it not?? It is a concertina!!!:-) Style, ornamentation, selection (who hasn't heard M. O.'s version on his CD?) all enter into the overall perception. But if I listen to the upper register tones as objectively as possible (not very possible) I can as easily envision someone playing a Salterelle box with the stops set for single reed as someone playing a vintage concertina, and I certainly don't hear the bark of Noel Hill's Jefferies, or Jacky McCarthy's, or John Williams Dipper or even my Aeola.

• 2 months later...