Warren Boatman Dance, Dan Tucker and Lucy Long

chungerford

Interesting thanks.We were still doing N.Minstrel shows in the Cub Scouts in Manchester, England in 1948 and it was still common on TV till the 70s. Even Lenny Henry the black comedian ,blacked up' They had a massive infuence on popular music and passed into tradition as songs and tunes for dances, even Morris had its share eg Step and Ftech Her, Getting Upstairs..

Mind you, blacking up was used as disguise well before Minstrel shows came over to Europe. EP Thompson in 'Customs in Common' as I remember , discussed how social dispute would be exercised by those with a grievance but little power, in disguise. he also claimed that this, exported to the States could lead to vigilante or Klan activity, so there's an interesting interaction of factors.

Just as we had black athletes talking objectively about slabvery and physical strength it is interesting to see groups like the Chocoalte Drops reclaiming some eof the black minstrel tradition , even the banjo!

Edited by michael sam wild

From a photocopy stuffed in a bookcase. For your reading pleasure...

Three tunes performed by the Ethiopian Serenaders as arranged by Joseph Warren. Perhaps a bit non-PC, but still fun!

Ethiopian Serenaders on Wikipedia

Thanks! Great stuff. Could be Anglo or English (tho I guess probably is English, being with a pianoforte).

From a photocopy stuffed in a bookcase. For your reading pleasure...

Three tunes performed by the Ethiopian Serenaders as arranged by Joseph Warren. Perhaps a bit non-PC, but still fun!

Ethiopian Serenaders on Wikipedia

Thanks! Great stuff. Could be Anglo or English (tho I guess probably is English, being with a pianoforte).

You are correct, it is intended for English.

Interesting thanks.We were still doing N.Minstrel shows in the Cub Scouts in Manchester, England in 1948 and it was still common on TV till the 70s. Even Lenny Henry the black comedian ,blacked up' They had a massive infuence on popular music and passed into tradition as songs and tunes for dances, even Morris had its share.

Mind you, blacking up was used as disguise well before Minstrel shows came over to Europe. EP Thompson in 'Customs in Common' as I remember , discussed how social dispute would be exercised by those with a grievance but little power, in disguise. he also claimed that this, exported to the staes could lead to vigilante or Klan activity, so there's an interesting interaction of factors.

Just as we had black athletes talking objectively about slabvery and physical strength it is interesting to see groups like the Chocoalte Drops reclaiming some eof the black minstrel tradition , even the banjo!

I have a postcard of a youth concertina band in blackface from around the 1920's (my guess). It's interesting to know how late the practice continued.

The Carolina Chocolate Drops are fantastic. If you have a chance check out some of their interviews where they talk about their approach to retaining the essence of the historical music while avoiding negative aspects of the genre.