Neck Chords

I see that some have rigged some sort of neck harness to their box as a way to assist in lighten the load while playing. I would not normally use such a device but it seems a good idea while my shoulder heals from surgery.

For those that use this, what material do you use? Leather , chord? Do you merely loop it through the thumb straps?

rss

I've used a fabric strap of the type used for fabric briefcases or computer bags, with cord through the thumb straps and then through the clips on the end of the strap. This has worked fine for temporary and brief use. I find the wide strap more comfortable around the neck than a narrow one.

A key suggestion (did I read it on cnet?) is to wear the strap diagonally rather than around the neck. Thus, it would go over one shoulder and under the opposite arm. This doesn't put strain on the neck and might spare your post-surgery shoulder.

Mike

I have been experimenting with a neck strap over the last few days and quite like it, I especially like being able to walk around while playing.

My neck strap is based upon a suggestion by Pauline de Snoo.

I cut two pieces of leather about 3 inches by 0.5 inches wide and punched a small hole thru the centre that was just big enough to thread the thumb strap adjustment bolt, and two bigger holes near the ends of the leather strips. These holes must be big enough to thread/attach whatever you are going to use for a neck strap.

Unscrew your thumb strap adjusting bolts and thread on a piece of leather on each side; screw the bolts back in. Double the ends of the strips together and attach your neck strap through the paired holes. I am using a fairly stout cord right now (maybe 1/8" diameter) but plan to look out for something wider and flatter - probably from a music store for some other instrument.

I like this method because no modification is required to the 'tina, it seems to balance well and, even using a cord, it is quite comfortable. I am very much a beginner, but I find it easier to control the bellows than sitting with one end of the 'tina on my knee.

Don.

PS. I have a CC Jack and I don't know if this would work on other concertinas.

Wim Wakker often uses a neck cord. I wouldn't be surprised if he's put a lot of thought into it and come up with the most workable solution.

I found this photo right here on concertina.net:

Wim-Wakker-Atlas-2.jpg

Not quite enough detail to see exactly what's going on, but I see a 1" neck strap connected to strong cords ending in (brass?) fittings connected to the concertina at or near the thumbstraps.

I was at that performance, too!

Edited to add: On 2nd look, I think what I called a 1" neck strap may be his bow tie and the collar of his tuxedo jacket. The cord probably continues behind the neck.

Edited by David Barnert

For those that use this, what material do you use? Leather , chord? Do you merely loop it through the thumb straps?

Randy, As a student of Pauline deSnoo I use a strap and purchased some from Wm. Wakker at $42.00 (IMHO much too much for the material that goes into them). Pauline stressed "balance" of the concertina and does not believe they should be place through the thumb straps as it causes an "unbalancing of the concertina" rather they should be place as described in this discussion or a special eyelet modification. I recently sent my metal ended Edeophone to Greg J. and one of the things he will do is modify it so I can wear a neck strap.. Being metal ended it tends to be heavier and without a strap I experience a lot of "thumb pain" compared to my Wheatstones.

This all being said. I have watched many of your videos and really like how you "get into playing" and the dynamic movement of your concertina and how it contributes to the musicality of the pieces you play. This is restricted with the typical neck stray and I have been thinking of using an elastic strap that would be able to independently support the instrument at the correct playing height but flexible enough to allow me to move the concertina around as you do. In my mind it would include either leather or a some sort of a reinforcement that would sit on the neck for it to be more comfortable. The leather piece could be sewn to the ends of the elastic, a hole punched through it and held in place by the thumb strap screws. I did notice on the you tube video below which I believe is Gill that he showed the used of the elastic strap, but much longer than I would get. Pauline, feels the strap should hold the instrument with your elbow bent in front of you. I got a kick out of the suspender solution. This might be a good one for you...but you might lose your britches. :-) Seriously that solution seems restrictive to me. Love the music you play as you know I have contacted you in the past to see if you do lessons. Hey you got me motivated, I think I am going to the Hobby Shop this afternoon to see if I can find the elastic and swivels to make a couple for me and see how it works.

I want to be able to swing like you Randy!!! :blink:

StephenTx

Edited by StephenTx

I am also a student of Pauline DeSnoo's and like playing with a neck strap. I purchased one from the Concertina Connection but find the cord put more pressure on my neck than I would like. I initially put a towel under the cord, which works, but then took a broad neck strap, non-elastic, from a 35mm camera and hooked it to the Concertina Connection loop attached beneath the thumb screws . I used two key ring loops to make the attachment . Works great!

I don't like neck cords at all and prefer to spread the weight across the shoulders. Read this thread in the ergonomics section of the forum.

For another instrument, I am going to try to cobble something together along tallship's suggestion. It's a very inexpensive experiment. In the long run, I'll go with whatever works best.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that some have rigged some sort of neck harness to their box as a way to assist in lighten the load while playing. I would not normally use such a device but it seems a good idea while my shoulder heals from surgery.

rss

I use a camera neck strap attached to two metal loops which were fitted by Dave Leese when he was servicing my instrument and fitting new bellows. I find this very comfortable. I was following the idea from Pauline de Snoo but Dave thought that it would put too much strain on the thumb screw fittings to add the extra load of suspension.

Edited by Brian101