Inexpensive concertina bag (adaptable)

Aldi have these bags back in stock and on special offer - which have previously been discussed on this forum.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week32Sunday12.htm

I managed to get one last time they were offered and it has made a good functional carry case for my 55k Maccan with very little additional padding etc.

Just bought mine...

Is there a way to get them in/from the US? I couldn't find one.

I'll be passing Aldi again on Wednesday morning.

If you wish I can get one for you and send to US.

In the meantime I'll PM you with an idea of postage costs.

Steve

Just bought mine...

Steve

I might be interested, depending on the shipping cost. Thanks! Do you have any idea if there would be a customs/duty/import fee issue?

Just bought mine...

Steve

I might be interested, depending on the shipping cost. Thanks! Do you have any idea if there would be a customs/duty/import fee issue?

Can't be certain about customs - but the value is only around $15 so I'd have thought it shouldn't be charged.

Just bought mine...

Steve

Can't be certain about customs - but the value is only around $15 so I'd have thought it shouldn't be charged.

cant get link to

to copy. Go to walmart and search for fishing bag and there are quite a few similar which will do the job at $20 or less.

The thing to ensure is that your bottom does not get wet (the aldi one has a section at the bottom which can be used for carrying screwdrivers (non alcoholic and alcoholic etc and is water resistant for when you areplaying AND fishing in in the rain or just unpacking the boot [trunk] andneed to put bag on the ground

Just got a couple more - the first one is actually used for fishing tackle... And the second is storing a Lachenal awaiting overhaul.

I don't recommenend mixed use - I use the bottom compartment to store bait (ragworm) - not sure I'd want to discover that three weeks later in a pub...

(Sparkhill Aldi don't have them but Acocks Green has loads, for anyone near Brum. But check all the zips before you buy.)

cant get link to copy. Go to walmart and search for fishing bag and there are quite a few similar which will do the job at $20 or less.

The thing to ensure is that your bottom does not get wet (the aldi one has a section at the bottom which can be used for carrying screwdrivers (non alcoholic and alcoholic etc and is water resistant for when you areplaying AND fishing in in the rain or just unpacking the boot [trunk] andneed to put bag on the ground

Thanks! That was a good suggestion.

• 8 months later...

A word of warning:

Recently a friend of mine slipped on the ice. He was carrying his concertina (a Wheatstone anglo) in a small backpack, without a proper hard case, and he fell backwards. The bellows exploded, perhaps because it wasn't tightly closed. (Compress a bellows with air in it fast enough, and the pressure can split it open in several places simultaneously. I've seen it happen before.)

The instrument is currently getting a new bellows from Jørgen Suttner.

I would take two cautions from this:
  • A soft case, especially one that isn't tight enough to keep the bellows compressed, can be hazardous to your instrument.
  • Don't carry your concertina in a little backpack. In this case, the instrument suffered. If it had been in a hard case in the backpack, he might have seriously injured his back.

It amazes me that players are looking for an 'inexpensive' bag in which to carry an instrument possibly worth £1000's. Heed Jim's story!!!

But just don't carry in rucksack.

Chris

Edited by chris

With respect, Jim's post is a little ambivalent. Use a soft case, you might damage the box, use a hard case, you might damage yourself. I rather suspect that most here would protect the box :rolleyes:

But for those occasions when you might use a gig bag - and not everyone here, I'm sure, has 1k+ boxes, whatever your currency - these are not bad bags to cart a small box around in. I have a basic round concertina gig bag from Hobgoblin that cost more than one of these at the time, it hasn't got room for scores (or indeed sandwiches) and it's far more obvious to anyone what's in it.

And yes, the 20b Lachenal lives in the gig bag and the better box lives in a decent wooden case.

I read Jim's post as meaning that using a backpack can be a lose/lose scenario no matter what kind of case you have in it.

Basically, yes.

When travelling, I do often carry my concertina in hard case in a large backpack. But then it is thoroughly surrounded by other, softer stuff, so that if I did somehow fall on my back, neither I nor the concertina would be likely to suffer damage. ... Getting up again might be a separate concern. B)