Unusual edeophone

I saw some smaller versions of this in Neil Wayne's collection many years ago, they were called a "Jedcertina". Someone thought it was a good idea to do a piano layout, but it looks like it would be very hard to play.

Gary

Very unusual. Not a button layout I recognise. And it appears to have riveted action.

'Piano' layout Duet.

Geoffrey

Thanks Geoff.

Speaking of unusual Edeophones with the piano layout, how about this monstrous beastie? From Neil Wayne's collection, photo taken in 1979. Plus here are two others with the "Jedcertina" piano layout. Anybody out there actually play one with this layout?

Gary

post-322-0-21237000-1344004383_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-95873200-1344004394_thumb.jpg

post-322-0-98897800-1344004422_thumb.jpg

Thanks Geoff

I guess that the rows are different octaves, with I guess what looks like duplicated C at the ends of each row.

Do you have a keyboard layout diagram you could post?

Thanks

Adding my thanks, Geoff.

Does anyone know who came up/patented this? I have always assumed the Jedcertina was a Lachenal invention - but this is in a different league.

PS Lovely looking Crabb box in Geoff's post.

See Brian Haydens text here (Rust 1862)

Crabb built Jedcertina 1937

and 20 key Anglo, again for Dallas

Both instruments used same basic woodwork and were made down to a dictated wholesale price.

Thanks Geoff

I guess that the rows are different octaves, with I guess what looks like duplicated C at the ends of each row.

Do you have a keyboard layout diagram you could post?

Thanks

There were alternative arrangements. See attachments

1908 model pictured in previous post

Plans exist for an alternative arrangement where the range is extended down, only Mid C being repeated

Adding my thanks, Geoff.

Does anyone know who came up/patented this? I have always assumed the Jedcertina was a Lachenal invention - but this is in a different league.

PS Lovely looking Crabb box in Geoff's post.

This information may have been posted elsewhere at concertina.net. If so, I repeat:

The Jed in Jedcertina represents the initials of the patentee, John E. Dallas. The patent number is No. 489776, and the Lachenal model number is No. 7561. I do not have the patent year, but it would have been around 1929-1930. I have seen over a dozen of the Jedcertinas, with serial numbers ranging from No. 199274 to No. 201057.