Powerpoint inventor plays concertina

As I curse my way through putting a new presentation together using the most recent release later today (why do they move or hide the useful bits each time they 'upgrade??!!) - I will at least do so knowing that the original inventor had this most redeeming of interests!

Edited by Myrtle's cook

Much, much more than a just concertina player.

He is the creator of the excellent Concertina Library.

Robin

< />Indeed so and I owe him an apology - I'd not made the connection with the concertina library, which I have benefitted from many times - probably more than I've benefitted from overexposure to Death By PowerPoint!

Powerpoint, the presentation software that runs a billion meetings, is 25 years old today.

The inventor, Robert Gaskins, turns out to be a concertina player (or,at least, a maker of concertina baffles) ...

I've heard him play.

The Maccann duet is his main squeeze.

...why do they move or hide the useful bits each time they 'upgrade??!!

I wouldn't blame Bob for the many elaborations and exasperations added by Microsoft.

More than even just the inventor of the Concertina Library! He is the world's leading authority on Professor John Hill Maccann. If someone can just figure out how Maccann died, Bob will, I'm told, finish the book he has prepared on Maccann. I've searched a bit myself, while looking for other odds and ends, but to no avail. I figure Maccann died at sea whilst heading for another performance at a second class music hall overseas.

Bob was also very, very kind in helping me along with my writing, and especially with helping me get my own concertina website going. A poor shadow of the Concertina Library, to be sure, but I had some fun with it.

I bet I've used Powerpoint at least once a month since I first learned it back in the early 90s (or was it late 80s). I not only use it to pester others with talks on geology or concertina history, but as a magnificent and easy to use graphics device. My latest work on it (this week) is in drawing fairly detailed geologic cross sections on top of seismic data, each line being nearly five feet long in computer space.

Hats off to Bob for Powerpoint. Not only are the boring talks on Powerpoint, but most of the great ones too!