Lachenal, & Wheatstone Concertinas for sale

joeschumacher

Please Contact Schumacher Music 772 286 7474 for any info.

The photos look like a standard 48-button Crane duet. Recently restored? Condition looks good on the outside, but how about some photos of the internals?

And what other concertinas do you have?

Oops! I just noticed the subtitle on your topic title. (The subtitle isn't shown while I'm in the editor. Hmm.)

So you have a 54-button Wheatstone? Uncommon number of buttons. Has me wondering... anglo (probably not), English, or duet?

Sorry I miss counted 48 Wheatstone. Could you please give me a call? Im trying to figure these things out.

Im asking $1500 each for the 2 Lachenals and the Wheatstone.

Terry

772 360 8379

Oops! I just noticed the subtitle on your topic title. (The subtitle isn't shown while I'm in the editor. Hmm.)

So you have a 54-button Wheatstone? Uncommon number of buttons. Has me wondering... anglo (probably not), English, or duet?

Edited by joeschumacher

Sorry I miss counted 48 Wheatstone. Could you please give me a call? Im trying to figure these things out.

Im asking $1500 each for the 2 Lachenals and the Wheatstone.

Terry

772 360 8379

Terry--

I don't know if Jim will want to call you, since he lives in Denmark. I may be able to help - I'm in California. If you're interested, I will probably have time to talk on Sunday if that works for you. Or we can e-mail - I'm at hrshsand "at" earthlink.net.

I don't know if Jim will want to call you, since he lives in Denmark. I may be able to help - I'm in California. If you're interested, I will probably have time to talk on Sunday if that works for you.

Actually, with my Skype subscription it costs me nothing additional to call the US. :) With a 6-hour difference between here and Florida, it might be a good time for me to call just when I finish today's sheep fencing. B)

I've never tried a conference call with Skype (and I'm not sure that that wouldn't cost extra), but I don't think it would hurt Joe to talk with each of us separately.

In the meantime, it looks like he has three Crane-system duets: a rosewood(or "rosewood")-ended 48-button Crane & Sons (built for C&S by Lachenal), a 55-button ebony-ended Lachenal New Model, and a metal-ended 48-button Wheatstone. The new handstraps and new-looking pads peeking through the fretwork suggest to me that they've all been recently refurbished. (How recently, and by whom?)

Aside from questions of condition (pads, valves, condition of reeds, tuning), I'm curious about their history. Since they're all Cranes and all with similar refurbishment, I would guess they all came from one individual (estate?). I think it would be wonderful if we could learn more about the former owner and the music (s)he played.

JL:

In the meantime, it looks like he has three Crane-system duets: a rosewood(or "rosewood")-ended 48-button Crane & Sons (built for C&S by Lachenal), a 55-button ebony-ended Lachenal New Model, and a metal-ended 48-button Wheatstone.

Aside from questions of condition (pads, valves, condition of reeds, tuning),

DS:

All consistent with my conversations with Terry, yesterday.

I will be curious if Jim's impressions using Skyle when he can view them (I couldn't - ours was the usual audio telephone call) are similar to mine which follow.

Despite being a bit busy in his shop yesterday, Terry was kind enough to play them button-by-button for me over the phone. If they were recently refurbished, some of the work will likely need to be re-done.

Some reeds don't sound at all, some report slowly, there is a bit of "pinching" here and there.

One reed seems to be missing or have been removed to serve as an air button on the Wheatstone.

A "sticky" button here and there.

Based on Terry's descriptions, there seems to be a bit of "slippage" in the bellows of the Lach's based on a blind (for me) "drop" test.We didn't put a tuner to them as the tuning is not important to me.My initial impression is that the Wheatstone seems to be the best of the lot and likely to require the least effort and expense to put it in proper playing condition, though it is probably playable as-is.I'm guessing that one Lach - I can't remember which - will need extensive work for it to be properly playable.

It doesn't seem that either Lach will play satisfactorily as-is ... at least, what I consider satisfactory.Based on something Terry said, my impression is that these are being sold due to the passing of the individual who played them.

I look forward to Jim's assessment.

Sorry about the spacing and carriage returns - can't seem to get the text to display properly today.

Edited by danersen

In the meantime, it looks like he has three Crane-system duets: a rosewood(or "rosewood")-ended 48-button Crane & Sons (built for C&S by Lachenal), a 55-button ebony-ended Lachenal New Model, and a metal-ended 48-button Wheatstone.

I would add that the Wheatstione appears to have been built or sold on January 19, 1926 (http://www.horniman....ES/D2P0460L.HTM, near the bottom of the page) and that the 55-button Lachenal may have been built around 1900 based on earlier posts about Lachenal Crane serial numbers.

I wonder about the late owner too. There can't be many people who own three high-end Cranes.

I look forward to Jim's assessment.

Apologies, but I won't be able to make that call tonight. I was longer working than I intended; it's now past 11:00 pm here; and I'm too tired to be useful. Tomorrow should be better.