Broken Spring

Well, here I sit with my Edeophone open, staring at a spring that has lost its spring. It's not broken but it is bent and has no tension. This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm slightly in shock!

However, I have my old knackered tutor also open and I'm wondering if I can just take a spring from that. It won't be nice and shiny like the rest, but it won't be broken either (hopefully). Also open is my copy of Dave Elliott's repair book.

Time to make a cup of tea and then see if I can get a spring out of the tutor without breaking it. Wish me luck, I'm a bit scared.

Any helpful advice along the way would be much appreciated.

Well, here I sit with my Edeophone open, staring at a spring that has lost its spring. It's not broken but it is bent and has no tension. This is the first time this has happened to me and I'm slightly in shock!

However, I have my old knackered tutor also open and I'm wondering if I can just take a spring from that. It won't be nice and shiny like the rest, but it won't be broken either (hopefully). Also open is my copy of Dave Elliott's repair book.

Time to make a cup of tea and then see if I can get a spring out of the tutor without breaking it. Wish me luck, I'm a bit scared.

Any helpful advice along the way would be much appreciated.

Quicker in the long run to get some new springs before you start. Old springs, especially the brass ones, can be difficult to extract without breaking. Put a bit of tape over the pad hole so you can still play the other notes while you wait.

Thanks Theo. I suspect I might end up doing that. I did get a spring out of the tutor model, but Sod's Law says it is a spring that turns to the right at the lever, not left. Extracted spring now broken in an attempt to reverse the hook.

Well, the note is a G that I use often. It may be time to learn lots of tunes with G# in them!

Well, I managed to get a spring out of the tutor and into the Edeophone. It will do for now until I get a new brass spring (and some spares!) Phew, that was a tense hour or so.

I believe that creative bending of a small safety pin has been used in emergencies......

I believe that creative bending of a small safety pin has been used in emergencies......

Seen that, very handy, but watch out for stainless steel safety pins, they are very strong and will extract your pivot over time...

I have a concertina in my resto pile in which the majority of springs are safety pins.