O'Shaughnessy Concertinas

Does anyone have any recent experience playing a O'Shaughnessy concertina? There are some older posts from several years ago. I have been playing for a year (on a Stagi - ugh!) and would like to move up to the next level. Thanks for any advice.

I corresponded with him quite a few years back and he seemed intent and knowledgeable (as all our makers do), but I haven't encountered one of his creations yet. Perhaps someone else here has. At the time he was planning a hybrid, with accordion reeds.

Ken

Ann, a member of this forum has one that she purchased recently, I believe it was March of this year. Perhaps she'll see this thread and comment. I believe she purchased it when Harlold Harrington said he wasn't taking new orders at the time and referred her to Mr. O'Shaughnessy.

I tried it for a few minutes, it seemed comparable to a Herrington. I didn't find any fault with it in my time with it, though I didn't try to find its limits. It seemed responsive and had a nice tone, typical of a hybrid instrument. I liked it, but I understand that some don't. It seemed a good value for the price.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

• 7 years later...

John O'Hasughnessy actually wrote me a few days ago and says he pretty much stopped concertina building when Harold Herrington, his inspiration, passed away. I responded and asked him a few questions, but he has not yet replied.

Ken