Small English system concertina wanted

conzertino

I am looking for a small ES concertina for a child. Unfortunately I just missed a 18-key Stagi at German ebay.

I have come across smaller instruments such as a 24 key Aeola or a piccolo-sized treble....

Any offers ( PM ) or comments?

I am looking for a small ES concertina for a child. Unfortunately I just missed a 18-key Stagi at German ebay.

I have come across smaller instruments such as a 24 key Aeola or a piccolo-sized treble....

Any offers ( PM ) or comments?

I've always been of the opinion that the time you need the best instrument is when you're learning. A poor quality or limited instrument will only stifle the enthusiasm. What about a basic Lachenal 48 button EC, plenty of scope for learning! You can do some great chords when you've got lots of buttons!

I'd say go for a Jackie. They're 30-button EC's and if you get one brand new it's nice and stiff, which (I believe, your mileage may vary) is good for developing the "concertina muscles". Once they've learned on the Jackie and broken it in a good bit, then see if there's interest in upgrading to a standard 48-key box.

I would agree with Andy that a good basic Lachenal EC might be a good place to start - it will hold its value and if it falls out of favour for a few years it is likely to remain fully playable if properly stored (not so sure same can be said of Stagis and similar). I would also think contacting the likes of Chris Algar Barleycorn concertinas) or Theo (of this forum) might bear fruit in matching your specification to things they might have in stock or be aware of through their networks - that way you'll be getting a fully playable instrument with some sort of warranty - as a child I was completely put off playing the violin by being given a poorly set up instrument to learn on.

as a child I was completely put off playing the violin by being given a poorly set up instrument to learn on.

I've played Stagi concertinas, and I've played (or tried to play) poorly set up violins/other stringed instruments, and in my view there is no comparison between the two. Maybe you or others have had a different experience. In fact, the 18-button Stagi was my first concertina (although I was fully grown at the time), and as you can see, it did not put me off. But again, my experiences do not define everybody's.

Of course, you have some limitations because of the 18-button range, but not as many as you might think. It depends what kind of music you want to play. For example, you can play probably 90-95% of the tunes in the Paul Hardy tunebook with no modifications. If you want to play music with a lot of accidentals (including harmonic/melodic minors), that starts to become a problem.

I don't know how small a child we're talking about here, but if it's someone whose hands are too small to reach comfortably from the thumbstrap to the pinky rest on a normal EC, the 18-button Stagi might be a good solution, because you can adjust the length (as distinct from the tightness) of the thumb and pinky straps.

• 1 year later...

I am still looking for a small ES concertina. After seeing pictures of a 24-key Jones and of a 24 key Aeola I feel the desire to get such a little one <_< I tried a Stagi mini, but it didn't convince me...

Edited by conzertino

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that by "small" Robert means physically small in comparison with a standard vintage 48-button treble English. The Jack, unfortunately, is not smaller, but much larger.

I can understand the attraction of the smaller instrument. .Many years ago I had an opportunity to play with a friend's 24-button Lachenal EC. It's lowest note was middle C. Limited, but lovely within those limits.