Herrington Bros.

It seems like the Herrington concertinas are pretty reasonably priced, beginner/intermediate boxes. At US$1500, I assume the reeds are accordion.

Anyone here ever had the opportunity to play one? or own one, better yet!

It seems like the Herrington concertinas are pretty reasonably priced, beginner/intermediate boxes. At US$1500, I assume the reeds are accordion.

Yes, accordion reeds. However, that price may be out of date - contact them to double-check. I haven't played one.

Yes, accordion reeds. However, that price may be out of date - contact them to double-check. I haven't played one.

Email sent. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks, good idea. :D

Email sent. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks, good idea.

If you're interested, I just found a bunch of very nice recent recordings on YouTube of somebody playing one. I don't know whether the player is a c.net member.

Email sent. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks, good idea.

If you're interested, I just found a bunch of very nice recent recordings on YouTube of somebody playing one. I don't know whether the player is a c.net member.

Yes, thanks for that! I was just watching a bunch of Concertinette vids on the Tube, so I get to compare her Dipper to this!

I've played several Harringtons and met the maker a few times as well. He is a consummate tinkerer/inventor who makes only a few instruments per year and improves on his design each time he makes one. Because of this, the Anglos of his I’ve played have all sounded and felt a bit different from each other, but they have all been excellent because Harold is a meticulous craftsman and loves his work.

I have no idea about his prices.

I owned a square Herrington C/G until recently. It is an excellent entry level instrument - sturdy, with good action and very reliable. The square models were built like Sherman tanks.

But there are significant differences in the sound of hybrid instruments, and if you can it would be best to try a few before you buy.

I should probably plan on buying the Rochelle I'm renting from the Button Box, and then trading it in for a Morse down the road, since the place is right down the road from where I live and work. :rolleyes:

For all of your information:

Mr Herrington returned my email, apologizing for the website being so out of date, and the current price of his 30b anglo is US $1850, plus insurance and shipping.

And further, he has one ready in the shop now (7/9/2012) which I cannot, alas, afford at the moment.

M

I recently acquired a square Herrington C/G. It is an excellent entry level instrument - sturdy, with good action and very reliable. It was built like a Sherman tank, and Harold Harrington assured me that it will be functional long after he and I are gone. :D

The posts in this thread have covered the topic very well. Harold doesn't make many instruments, and it's good news that he has one available now.

I might add that Harold is considering changing to steel concertina reeds. If he does that, he said his prices would have to go up, and my guess is that he would take a very long time to produce the first one with steel reeds.

I recently acquired a square Herrington C/G. It is an excellent entry level instrument - sturdy, with good action and very reliable. It was built like a Sherman tank, and Harold Harrington assured me that it will be functional long after he and I are gone. :D

Glad you're happy with it!

I might add that Harold is considering changing to steel concertina reeds. If he does that, he said his prices would have to go up, and my guess is that he would take a very long time to produce the first one with steel reeds.

I recall an article which says that Harold Herrington, Frank Edgley and John O'Shaughnessy collaborated on their concertina developments.

And concertina reed, I can't help thinking of Frank's recent blog photo.

--

Taka

I recall an article which says that Harold Herrington, Frank Edgley and John O'Shaughnessy collaborated on their concertina developments.

--

Taka

can you explain to me what sort of reed pan that is in the picture? it looks interesting!

--

Taka

can you explain to me what sort of reed pan that is in the picture? it looks interesting!

It look likes a dovetailed reed pan for use with traditional concertina reeds.

--

Taka

It look likes a dovetailed reed pan for use with traditional concertina reeds.

ahhhh, I see. very cool.

• 3 months later...

I've played several Harringtons and met the maker a few times as well. He is a consummate tinkerer/inventor who makes only a few instruments per year and improves on his design each time he makes one. Because of this, the Anglos of his I’ve played have all sounded and felt a bit different from each other, but they have all been excellent because Harold is a meticulous craftsman and loves his work.

I have no idea about his prices.

I've tried a couple and liked them. I'm under the impression that Harold has been referring some orders to John O'Shaughnessy and the prices were now a little higher than those referenced on the Herrington website.

Resurrecting this because i have a chance to maybe buy a Herrington--would either of you (or anyone else) say that the Herringtons have a more accordion-like sound than other hybrids?