Good Value Small Maccan?

Dirge

this looks good value...brass reeds might be considered the downside for some.

Frustrating because it looks more or less what my little 46 is going to end up as, but I'm already committed to going all round the houses. Mine's going back to England to have new bellows (already waiting. See?) and as much of an upgrade as is sensible; I was going to talk about bushings and perhaps metal keys. I wasn't thinking Wheatstone action though! This one looks like it's had the 'hot-rodding' as it's been called here, as well as a below average price.

I've had a lot more fun out of this little beast than I was expecting hence the willingness to invest in it, and for me the brass reeds are a plus because I don't worry about taking it out in the wilderness, figuratively speaking.

Frustrating because it looks more or less what my little 46 is going to end up as, but I'm already committed to going all round the houses. Mine's going back to England to have new bellows (already waiting. See?) and as much of an upgrade as is sensible; I was going to talk about bushings and perhaps metal keys. I wasn't thinking Wheatstone action though! This one looks like it's had the 'hot-rodding' as it's been called here, as well as a below average price.

I've had a lot more fun out of this little beast than I was expecting hence the willingness to invest in it, and for me the brass reeds are a plus because I don't worry about taking it out in the wilderness, figuratively speaking.

I saw it and have to confess it doesn't look like a Wheatstone end to me. The strap attachment looks like a Lachenal, I guess it might have Wheatstone innards but I really don't get how you can tell from the pictures (one very blurry) provided. Looks dodgy to me.

I saw it and have to confess it doesn't look like a Wheatstone end to me. The strap attachment looks like a Lachenal, I guess it might have Wheatstone innards but I really don't get how you can tell from the pictures (one very blurry) provided. Looks dodgy to me.

The seller is Chris Algar... Barleycorn Concertinas.

Whether the fretwork and hand bars are Wheatstone or not may be open to debate, but I would certainly trust Chris' judgement as to quality.

Chris doesn't put up masses of photos with his auctions. He stands on his reputation.

The seller is very experienced and very well known. I think most of us would tend to go along with what he says.

I was assuming Chris had the ends right, but it doesn't really matter; the action he won't be mistaken on and the rest is Lach anyway. You can see the buttons, etc.

It's just gone for £490; I reckon the buyer should be pleased. (And has probably just stopped cursing me for drawing attention to it.)