"Leo" has passed on

A discussion has been going on here: Where is Waldo (Leo) ?, where not all may have seen it because of its location in the "Videos & Music" subforum and its playful title, but after weeks of speculation and concern for a member who has gone silent, in the last 24 hours we have come up with a last name and, finally, an obituary for our fellow concertina.net member, Leo. He apparently checked in on concertina.net the day he died unexpectedly at home on May 2.

Thanks to Jim Lucas who provided his last name, and to Daniel Hersh for using that information to find his obituary.

We will miss him.

David, thank you for your good work on this, despite the sad result of your investigations. It was heartening to see the concern expressed by members of this world-wide community.

Echoing Larry, if you could post a link or even give us a last name so we could look, it would be greatly appreciated. With the information, we could not only satisfy curiosity, but perhaps gave the information to let his family, if any, know that his life touched ours.

I see that this information is given elsewhere in the Leo discussion. It gives one something to go by to contact family.

Edited by Mike Franch

All the information is in the thread I linked to, above, including the funeral home web site where one may post condolences. I was thinking of doing that but haven't decided what to say yet. Lest anybody doubt that the Leo we knew here is the same person referred to in the obituary, note that both Leo's member page (also linked in my earlier post) and the obituary refer to a birthday of July 11, 1951.

All the information is in the thread I linked to, above, including the funeral home web site where one may post condolences. I was thinking of doing that but haven't decided what to say yet. Lest anybody doubt that the Leo we knew here is the same person referred to in the obituary, note that both Leo's member page (also linked in my earlier post) and the obituary refer to a birthday of July 11, 1951.

Yes v sad.

I was hanging back in this discussion as I had an email address for Leo(as Leo Dalton) and had mailed him but got no answer but I did not want to jump the gun.

In the meantime I had asked the funeral home to check with his sisters if indeed he was our concertina Leo and had been waiting for a response.

:(

Dirge has posted his own condolences on the funeral home site, and after reflection , so have I. I may have only had a couple of contacts with Leo, but what he did touched all of us, and it is indeed very possible that his family could well remain unaware of how much his life connected with others world-wide . Must have taken him a fair bit of time over the last few years getting together all that info which he lovingly passed on to us. It is quite clearly the same man - the clues are in his profile - as a retired airline captain, the references he made to airplanes etc are an obvious link, as of course is the date of birth. He will definitely be missed.

Edited by Irene S

I corresponded personally with Leo Dalton, as we did not live far apart in western PA. We did not manage to meet in person, though we invited each other to our respective star parties, sharing an interest (and job in my case) in astronomy. Yes, he was a retired US Air pilot - you can find threads here where he corrects our speculations about how air travel/bags/routing etc. worked. I will post something at the condolence site on behalf of C.net but encourage anyone else to post for themselves also...because I still use a phone modem for much of my admin work here (it's a long story), I do not watch many online videos and so did not follow the video threads closely.

Will miss him!

Ken

Only just seen this post. Thanks Irene for flagging it up.

My condolences. He seemed like such a nice chap.

And his contribution to the site will be missed.

• 8 years later...

Don't mean to resurrect a long since dormant thread, but I just read a lot of this and you all really brought a smile to my face with the regards you held my father in.  I'm glad he was able to contribute to such a delightful group of people, and provide good memories to you -- this is a nice way to spend my Sunday, reading through all these ?