ShallI tune my Jeffries to C/G or Bb/F ?

Andy Holder

Hello all. Following on from a previous posting, I need to sell my Jeffries, which is well on the way to being a lovely instrument. I can't afford to keep it to play, I'm not that good anyway! Most of the refurb is done but the tuning is a dilemma. The reed frames are stamped as if it is a C/G but it is much closer in tune to being a Bb/F.

The question is, would C/G be a much more saleable instrument than Bb/F? Perhaps Bb/F is useful to someone expanding their collection?

I have to be hard nosed about this because it's been burning a hole in my credit card for some time and I need to recoup as much as I can!

Thanks

Andrew

Hi, I would sell it "as is". Finish everything except the tuning and leave it to the buyer to decide...Some concertina-people can tune themselfes or have preferred tuners...

That's an interesting one. I hadn't thought of that option. Although that does mean that someone will have to spend another 200-300 on top of the sale price.

Yes leave it as it is, let the buyer decide.

I have a strong suspicion that some Jeffries concertinas in BbF had the reed shoes marked for CG from new. Especially likely if it is still in what could be Bb/F old high pitch. Also worth checking to see if it is ET or meantone. People do still want BbF concertinas and they are getting harder to find also the Irish market for CGs has weakened a huge amount so the difference in saleability is now small.

Yes leave it as it is, let the buyer decide.

I have a strong suspicion that some Jeffries concertinas in BbF had the reed shoes marked for CG from new. Especially likely if it is still in what could be Bb/F old high pitch. Also worth checking to see if it is ET or meantone. People do still want BbF concertinas and they are getting harder to find also the Irish market for CGs has weakened a huge amount so the difference in saleability is now small.

Thanks Theo. I still don't know the temperament as many of the reeds are not sounding yet. I'm having a fairly big cleaning job, there's a bit of rust about! One of the reeds I've just cleaned is sounding a beautiful clear Bb but is marked D# so I don't know what's going on until they are all clean.