Where is Waldo (Leo) ?

Frustrating! I'm afraid we're no (or not much) closer to an answer.

Here's what I wrote to Doug at the Button Box:

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 11:11 AM

To: Button Box

Subject: Missing concertina.net member

Doug-

Perhaps you can help with a dilemma that has arisen on concertina.net. A member who has become a favorite by periodically posting links to all the latest concertina related YouTube videos and has also been a valued participant in other topics has gone silent these past two months. He has not responded to personal e-mail. We are concerned about him, but know very little about him. His user page mentions that he is 60 years old, lives in western Pennsylvania, and has Morse Albion number 364. His user name (presumably his first name) is Leo. His user page is here:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showuser=1911

The thread about him is here:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14318

Do you know who owns Albion 364 and/or know how to get in touch with anyone who can shed light on this? I'm not asking you to divulge any private information (his name, phone number, etc) unless you feel comfortable with that.

Thanks.

David Barnert

Albany NY

Here's the response:

Subject: RE: Missing concertina.net member

Date: June 29, 2012 4:26:27 PM EDT

To: "'David Barnert'"

Hi, David.

Doug is away for a few days. What I can tell you in his absence is that the original purchaser of that Albion was someone else, or at least someone whose name is not Leo and who does not live in Pennsylvania. If the "Leo" is accurate, he probably bought it second-hand. I suppose you might be able to track that down, if there was an online component to the sale.

We have one Leo in Pennsyslvania in our customer database, but it's not someone who has bought an instrument and it's not someone about whom I know anything. Doug will be back next week, and he might know more. Sorry we can't be of immediate help.

Rebecca/The Button Box

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I had found something when I found a reference to a Leo Greco having died at the end of May, but he turned out to have been 89 years old and an accordionist - so not him.

Had anyone noticed, by the way, that Leo's avatar has changed from the little lion cartoon that Sarah produced for him, and is now a concertina photo (presumably his Morse?) When did that change take place ? Any significance?

Here's a very little more info, if anybody wants to pursue it:

(I might have posted sooner, but I've been frightfully busy, with an unreliable internet connection, and waiting on a hoped-for response that hasn't come.)

Leo is Leo Dalton... apparently Leo F. Dalton in Beaver, Pennsylvania. A quick internet search gave me a street address, but no phone number. (Interesting but probably irrelevant is that he's listed as "Leo F Dalton Sr" with an age of 60, while there's another "Leo F Dalton" -- no "Senior" -- listed in Allentown with an age of 96.)

I sent an inquiry to an email address I have from a private exchange with Leo in 2009, but as with David, it's now been several days with no response.

I do hope he's all right.

(I might have posted sooner, but I've been frightfully busy, with an unreliable internet connection, and waiting on a hoped-for response that hasn't come.)

Leo is Leo Dalton... apparently Leo F. Dalton in Beaver, Pennsylvania. A quick internet search gave me a street address, but no phone number. (Interesting but probably irrelevant is that he's listed as "Leo F Dalton Sr" with an age of 60, while there's another "Leo F Dalton" -- no "Senior" -- listed in Allentown with an age of 96.)

I sent an inquiry to an email address I have from a private exchange with Leo in 2009, but as with David, it's now been several days with no response.

Unfortunately, he is not all right:

Leo F. Dalton

BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP

Posted:
Thursday, May 3, 2012 4:00 am

Leo F. Dalton, 61, of Brighton Township, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, May 2, 2012, in his home.

Born July 11, 1951, in Philadelphia, PA, he had been a resident of Brighton Township the past 31 years. He was a disabled Captain with U.S. Airways after 25 years service having formerly flown with Allegheny Airlines.

Preceding him in death besides his parents, was a sister, Irene.

He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, John and Angel Dalton, Brighton Twp., and three sisters, Rita Dalton, Marge Zeadow, and Theresa Kaminski.

Friends will be received Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m. in the NOLL FUNERAL HOME INC, 333 Third Street, Beaver. Online condolences may be shared at

Rest in peace, Leo.

I as very sad to see the separate post on Leo's passing. he was a good c netter and I will miss his posts RIP .

Sad news indeed. Perhaps if willing, Paul or Ken could send a condolence message from concertina.net on behalf of all the members?

- John Wild

Sometimes Leo checked my youtube vieos, and he attached URL with smile peace face " :) " on this forum.

I did not talk with him by e-mail, but I felt his tenderness and he accepted me a member of C. net.

I'm sad to hear his passing.

May his soul rest in peace.

wakasaobama

Edited by wakasaobama

Unfortunately, he is not all right:

Leo F. Dalton

BRIGHTON TOWNSHIP

Posted:
Thursday, May 3, 2012 4:00 am

Leo F. Dalton, 61, of Brighton Township, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, May 2, 2012, in his home.

Born July 11, 1951, in Philadelphia, PA, he had been a resident of Brighton Township the past 31 years. He was a disabled Captain with U.S. Airways after 25 years service having formerly flown with Allegheny Airlines.

Preceding him in death besides his parents, was a sister, Irene.

He is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, John and Angel Dalton, Brighton Twp., and three sisters, Rita Dalton, Marge Zeadow, and Theresa Kaminski.

Friends will be received Saturday from 2 to 6 p.m. in the NOLL FUNERAL HOME INC, 333 Third Street, Beaver. Online condolences may be shared at

Rest in peace, Leo.

I am so sad for the news

R.I.P LEO

Superbeta

Hi!

My name is John Dalton, and as you can probably tell by my chosen user name, I am the "Son of Leo". First off, I want to tell you all how much discovering this thread has meant to me. Obviously, it's been about two months since my fathers passing, and in the hustle and bustle of estate, funeral, family, paperwork and small business ownership etc, it's taken me a while to get affairs in order.

But I will tell you all one thing... Discovering this thread and this community has really touched home in a way that I had not expected...

Allow to explain:

My father was, by trade passion and sole existence, a pilot. It was his first love. That's who my father was! "Captain" Leo F. Dalton of USAirways. It was all I had known him to be growing up and all that he had ever done!

About 10 years ago, he could no longer fly due to some medical issues that he was having. He was put on long term disability and that was essentially the end of his aviation career. For the past while he moved from hobby to hobby, keeping himself busy and learning what he could about whatever he could get his hands on. First it was trap shooting, then it was astronomy and then somehow, he got into Concertina's.

Perhaps it was remnants of his youth in which he played the Accordion, or perhaps the fascination with such a simple and elegant instrument appealed to him. To be perfectly honest, my father was not what you would call "musically proficient". But I'll tell you what, he simply loved playing the little that he could on his Concertina, as well as the community on this forum. He would tell me, from time to time, the people whom he had met. Professionals in various industries who you would never expect to find here (I believe there was a developer for Power Point as well as an Animator from Pixar who hang out here). Stories of the various styles and his annoyance at the so-called "ornamentation" in certain players (He called them intentional mistakes).

As I stated, my father was not exactly a musician, which in all honesty is why he posted so many videos. It was his way of contributing and being a part of this community of players. He really loved scouring the internet, finding videos and how too's and sharing knowledge. That was my father, really... Living by the adage and creed: Those that can, do, and those that can't, teach. He was a teacher. It had always been said that if you asked Leo the time, he would build you a clock and tell you how it worked and WHY it was the time in which you were asking for.

It really wasn't until I stumbled across this thread, that I had realized how much HE had meant to the community by his contributions. I had initially sent an email through my fathers email account to the admin of the site informing him of his passing in hopes that the word would get around. Being on a great deal of modding and hacking forums, it's always a bummer when some major contributor just ups and disappears leaving everyone wondering "what happened". So I had sent out the email before I even knew there was a thread dedicated to my father! Finally a few days ago, I checked his e-mail account and remembered that I had sent the initial email, which in turn led me to this thread. For some reason, it just hit me at the right time and really made me go "Huh, cool!" at the admiration that my father had earned on this forum. I had no idea how popular he was, or his contributions to this community.

It was because of that, I decided to create an account and just kind of give him a send off and say "thanks" to all of you for the kind words towards him. It really honestly and truly meant a great deal to know how much he meant to all of you. It was like discovering another world of my Fathers that I had never really known about!

If you folks have any questions, or just want to share stories of him, or whatever you like, feel free to "AMA"! I'll be happy to supply any details or information that I can, and perhaps some of you can convince me to pick up ANOTHER instrument to my collection!

And who knows, perhaps I'll learn a bit more about my father in the process!

I hope this adds a bit of closure for some of you, if any was needed. I just felt that you all should know my father just a bit more :-) Feel free to crosspost this to the "passing of Leo (He Posted Youtube Videos) thread. I just chose the thread with the most posts for this.

Thanks again!

-John, Son of Leo

I thought I had found something when I found a reference to a Leo Greco having died at the end of May, but he turned out to have been 89 years old and an accordionist - so not him.

Had anyone noticed, by the way, that Leo's avatar has changed from the little lion cartoon that Sarah produced for him, and is now a concertina photo (presumably his Morse?) When did that change take place ? Any significance?

Incidentally: He did tell me about the "Lion" Avatar that someone had created for him! He thought it was pretty cool and it made him smile :-) (i've never actually seen it, so I've no idea what it looks like, but he was proud of it!)

Incidentally: He did tell me about the "Lion" Avatar that someone had created for him! He thought it was pretty cool and it made him smile :-) (i've never actually seen it, so I've no idea what it looks like, but he was proud of it!)

In fact, it had been that avatar which drew my attention to your father at the first...

Further on I came to appreciate and anticipate his video contributions, as many of us.

At the moment let me add my sympathies!

Hi I was the one who created the avatar. I'm going to have a look though my files to see if I still have a copy so you can see it.