Joy of a Broken Finger

A few weeks ago I broke the little finger of my left hand. It now wears a large splint which prevents me from playing my fiddle and banjo. As bummed as I am about that, this accident has afforded me the opportunity to spend some quality time with my English, sadly played very little for several months. I am ecstatic!

Every day I've been revisiting old favs and just learned "Off She Goes" (whhich I fell in love with) plus, a few Morris tunes from Mr. Kirkpatrick. I fall asleep and wake up with tunes just rolling around in my head and can hardly wait to play.

What started out as frustration has turned to pure joy.

Thanks for listening!

Hi CS,

I have had a similar problem but only ending in frustration .A few weeks ago I had an accident where an angle grinder ended up falling on my arm .I was lucky as it was the back of my lower arm, I cut muscle bellies and some tendons.This was my right arm and I now have a plastic splint stopping me lifting or making a fist.I have tried every which way to hold my concertina including tying it to the arm of the chair but without any success.I also tried a melodeon as I can get my four finger around that but that was to painful.So for me it has ended in Youtube,TV and left handed crosswords.Hope you make a full and speedy recovery,regards David.

Hi CS,

I have had a similar problem but only ending in frustration .A few weeks ago I had an accident where an angle grinder ended up falling on my arm .I was lucky as it was the back of my lower arm, I cut muscle bellies and some tendons.This was my right arm and I now have a plastic splint stopping me lifting or making a fist.I have tried every which way to hold my concertina including tying it to the arm of the chair but without any success.I also tried a melodeon as I can get my four finger around that but that was to painful.So for me it has ended in Youtube,TV and left handed crosswords.Hope you make a full and speedy recovery,regards David.

So Sorry to hear this. Playing music daily has been part of my life for over 30 years...I dread the day it becomes

impossible.....but as so many friends have told me, "you'll heal and be back at it in due course."

Hang in there!

It was a broken arm that got me started on the concertina in the first place. When I got my cast taken off and got back full use of my hand, I still had to wear a splint on my wrist, so I couldn't play the guitar, so I went out and got a concertina.

I like to pair "Off She Goes" (in D) with "The Oyster Girl" (in G). The transition between tunes works in both directions, so you can switch back and forth between them as often as you want.

It was a broken arm that got me started on the concertina in the first place. When I got my cast taken off and got back full use of my hand, I still had to wear a splint on my wrist, so I couldn't play the guitar, so I went out and got a concertina.

I like to pair "Off She Goes" (in D) with "The Oyster Girl" (in G). The transition between tunes works in both directions, so you can switch back and forth between them as often as you want.

Johanna....off I go to work up Oyster Girl! Thanks for the suggestion.

Someone else's similar-yet-not experience helped me get going on my concertina career.

I had the loan of an English concertina for about 6 months, but then had to return it. I went into withdrawal, and began asking every new person I met, "Do you know anyone with a concertina for sale." Then one night, the answer was, "Yes."

It seems there was a teacher who played guitar to accompany music in her classes, but she became pregnant, the pregnancy was large, and she was unable to hold the guitar, so she took up the concertina. After the birth she went back to the guitar, and the concertina went into the closet. Just a few days before I met him and asked my question, she had been saying to her father that if she wasn't going to play the concertina, she really ought to sell it to someone who would. :D

All the best! In 2000 I nearly severed my little finger on the left hand on a broken glass when serving in the pub! I concentrated on the Anglo to get the finger working again and never went back to melodeon. The finger is fine, just aches in this wet weather.

All the best! In 2000 I nearly severed my little finger on the left hand on a broken glass when serving in the pub! I concentrated on the Anglo to get the finger working again and never went back to melodeon. The finger is fine, just aches in this wet weather.

my biggest problem is the splint on the finger....it's so large it makes shifting finger position a real challenge, but at least I'm able to play...not great...but I'm playing!