Dodgy eBay listing

Johanna

Just saw this - from the pictures posted, the concertina is missing half its buttons and at least 1/4 (I suspect all) of its reeds.

Obviously I'm not going to bid on this, but I wonder how it would be covered under eBay's buyer protection. What if it was bought by some unsuspecting person who didn't know what the inside of a concertina was supposed to look like? Or what if the seller hadn't posted the picture of the reed pan? Does advertising something as a "concertina," even if not in working order, imply that all the important parts are at least present?

Just saw this - from the pictures posted, the concertina is missing half its buttons and at least 1/4 (I suspect all) of its reeds.

Obviously I'm not going to bid on this, but I wonder how it would be covered under eBay's buyer protection. What if it was bought by some unsuspecting person who didn't know what the inside of a concertina was supposed to look like? Or what if the seller hadn't posted the picture of the reed pan? Does advertising something as a "concertina," even if not in working order, imply that all the important parts are at least present?

It's a bargain at GBP 0.99! I'd guess that the case alone is worth at least GBP 0.66 :lol:

If Ebay took a buyer's side on that one I'd be surprised even though I have virtually no faith in Ebay at all. I reckon that's very much buyer beware. The seller could have been a bit more forthcoming in the first place I grant you, but I think that's more about a clueless seller wasting people's time by not putting all the info in in the first place than actually hiding things. The pictures are there, if alarm bells don't ring I'd say the buyer brought the consequences on themselves.

Nice looking set of rosewood ends for someone with poor fretwork on their own instrument for starters. And the boxes fetch a few pounds these days too; I've been watching for one for my 46 and haven't been able to bring myself to pay the prices yet!

What's there doesn't look too bad to me. You can't help thinking that it's not a robbed remnant but that the other bits are unrecognised in a tin can somewhere close to where the 'box was found by the people clearing the room.

What's there doesn't look too bad to me. You can't help thinking that it's not a robbed remnant but that the other bits are unrecognised in a tin can somewhere close to where the 'box was found by the people clearing the room.

Certainly worth sending the seller a question, I'd say. Maybe (s)he even has the tin can, but didn't think to mention it. (Unlikely, perhaps, but hope springs infernal. :ph34r:)

I think you make a good point, Johanna.

I have bought a couple of boxes recently that claimed the bellows needed attention, to find great big rips (I didn't mind because I paid less and was expecting to rebuild the bellows!)

But as others as said, it's caveat emptor on ebay.

I think you make a good point, Johanna.

I have bought a couple of boxes recently that claimed the bellows needed attention, to find great big rips (I didn't mind because I paid less and was expecting to rebuild the bellows!)

But as others as said, it's caveat emptor on ebay.

Hmmmmm.... Wonder if that label would fit in the hole in my Lachenal? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm.... Wonder if that label would fit in the hole in my Lachenal? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably, but didn't someone recently post a photo of such a label?

Seems to me it would be cheaper to print your own.
;)

Come to think of it, you could probably print a label from the photo in the auction. :)

In response to a question, the seller has admitted to being sufficiently ignorant of concertinas, he doesn't know how to tell if it has any reeds, and has told buyers to assume it has none. Bidding has however reached £55.

It might be suitable for quiet practice in front of the TV, without disturbing anyone.

Added: If you have a damaged or warped box, it might be worth the money to make a good one out of two.

Edited by malcolmbebb