Hey All,

I am restoring an old 28 key Lachenal (c.1896). I knew it was one of the cheaper brass reeded instruments since there was no stamp visible on the handle to say otherwise, however on inspection there appears to be about dozen steel reeds present, with no obvious pattern to their positions.

My questions is firstly if anyone else has had experience of this and can comment on the effect on the tone, i.e. will the steel reeds jump out awkwardly when playing tunes and is there any way to remedy this short of shopping around for spare brass reeds? Secondly, as a point of interest, does anyone know if this is something Lachenal did occasionally in the factory (say if they were using up odds and ends) or is it more likely the steel reeds were introduced as a later repair. They certainly look like they could have been in there for as long as the brass ones.

Thanks!

Sounds like someone replacing broken reeds with whatever was available. I've seen it a couple of times. As to whether it will work, only way is to listen to it and see if you like it the way it is, and if not look for replacements...

Sounds like someone replacing broken reeds with whatever was available. I've seen it a couple of times. As to whether it will work, only way is to listen to it and see if you like it the way it is, and if not look for replacements...

Thanks Chris, quite a bit of work to do before getting it sounding at all (bellows are shot, trying a rebind first before biting the bullet), but I will certainly follow that advice when I do. In fact I do like the recordings I've heard of instruments that seem to have slightly different "voices" between reeds or reed rows, it all adds to the charm and beauty. Though I imagine what I am liking is the skilled playing of priceless instruments rather than differences in reed materials!