ECMW June 22-24 2012.

I've just had a message from Geoff Crabb with the good news that he will be joining us on the Saturday and I know that MIke Hebbert is coming for the whole weekend, so with the MacCann players lining up as well we shall have a fine representation of Duet players.

If you've seen LDT's video compilation on the ecmw website you'll know that there was no shortage of Anglo players last year, and with Alan Day hosting the Saturday 'Hair of the Dog' session, Keith and Sylvie hosting the song session and Dan Worrall giving a talk and a workshop we're heading for another concertina bonanza!

Then add in Mark Davies, Chris Timson, Howard Jones, Chas Marshall with their Anglos.........

Numbers are limited, so please book your ticket now to avoid disappointment. It is shaping up to be a very fine weekend with lots of well-played concertinas!

Best wishes,

Roger

I've just had a message from Geoff Crabb with the good news that he will be joining us on the Saturday and I know that MIke Hebbert is coming for the whole weekend, so with the MacCann players lining up as well we shall have a fine representation of Duet players.

If you've seen LDT's video compilation on the ecmw website you'll know that there was no shortage of Anglo players last year, and with Alan Day hosting the Saturday 'Hair of the Dog' session, Keith and Sylvie hosting the song session and Dan Worrall giving a talk and a workshop we're heading for another concertina bonanza!

Then add in Mark Davies, Chris Timson, Howard Jones, Chas Marshall with their Anglos.........

Numbers are limited, so please book your ticket now to avoid disappointment. It is shaping up to be a very fine weekend with lots of well-played concertinas!

Best wishes,

Roger

Duets, Anglos? What about some Englishes, eh, Roger? Well, I'll be there, so at least one. Any more EC players attending?

Chris

(plus fiddle, but let's not talk about that).

I was thinking about bringing mine...the question is does anyone deserve to put up with my playing....unsure.gif

Could come in handy as a float when the rain comes down. tongue.gif

Edited by LDT

I

Best wishes,

Roger

Here is the video is anyone hasn't seen it

Keith and Sylvie hosting the song session and Dan Worrall giving a talk and a workshop we're heading for another concertina bonanza!

I'm assuming that the concertina bonanza won't necessarily be spreading as far as the singing session .... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Keith and Sylvie hosting the song session and Dan Worrall giving a talk and a workshop we're heading for another concertina bonanza!

I'm assuming that the concertina bonanza won't necessarily be spreading as far as the singing session .... :ph34r:

Wrong! Keith and Sylvia were of course accompanying themselves . Lovely weekend ... and nice to see everyone. Never mind ogling the tinas - nice to hear some of them as well ;)

I have put a small selection of pics from the weekend on flickr

http://www.flickr.co...mps/7439553680/

http://www.flickr.co...mps/7439553670/

http://www.flickr.co...mps/7439553664/

http://www.flickr.co...mps/7439553658/

http://www.flickr.co...mps/7439553648/

but the rest are on the ECMW group page.

I only have one video up at the moment because youtube is being a pain and taking ages to upload

Friday in the scout hut session led by the english string band (although this is from a little later on once the programmed 'leading' had finished)

Edited by LDT

Because the filesizes are so big, I've had to reduce quality and do several compilations rather than one big one.

So here is the Sunday session...I arrived a bit late coz of a sudden downpour, so I was drying out in the warm of the yacht club. lol

A great weekend! My only complaint (apart from my tent breaking during a sudden squall on Sunday) was that I wanted to go to everything at once! Dan Worrall's talk on playing for house parties was fascinating, but I then had to dash off to catch the last of the East Anglian session. Lot's of brilliant sessions, playing with old and new friends. Lots of good concertina playing, including Zak playing South African music. And in a month's time I get to do it all over again at Bradfield :)

Friday session

From Saturday morning

Re those, probably helps to know what they contain

The first is effectively a fiddle session - expect no tinas!

The second, from the Saturday morning session is slightly more interesting - several concertinas in view, including those of Zak van der Vyver, Al Day, Howard Jones etc .... not that much of them can be heard ;)

The third is a rendition of a tune specially composed by Al Day for the occasion - can't remember the actual title, but it alluded to the fact that he was running a session from 9am till 2pm for early breakfast risers and beyond!! A selfless noble and tiring act!

The fourth one is totally concertina-centric - Zak van der Vyrer playing a solo, Short but lovely :)

All provided by the lovely Ladyde Temps with her brand new camera ...;)

Edited by Irene S

The second, from the Saturday morning session is slightly more interesting - several concertinas in view, including those of Zak van der Vyrer, Al Day, Howard Jones etc .... not that much of them can be heard ;)

My concertinas are there, but I'm playing melodeon on that tune. However Chas Marshall and Jack Shuttleworth (better known for his purple harp) are there on anglos.

The second, from the Saturday morning session is slightly more interesting - several concertinas in view, including those of Zak van der Vyrer, Al Day, Howard Jones etc .... not that much of them can be heard ;)

My concertinas are there, but I'm playing melodeon on that tune. However Chas Marshall and Jack Shuttleworth (better known for his purple harp) are there on anglos.

I should have remembered Jack, since I was sitting next to him, and Chas - since I have several photos of him there :unsure:

Yes, a brilliant weekend. Lots of fine musicians, inc. lots of concertinas. I seemed to be the only Maccann at the sessions I attended (Sylvia N. always seemed to be somewhere else, and Irene was boxless for the weekend), but never mind, we Maccann players are used to ploughing a lonely furrow.

Thanks to the organisers - I hope you managed to enjoy it too.

Yes, a brilliant weekend. Lots of fine musicians, inc. lots of concertinas. I seemed to be the only Maccann at the sessions I attended (Sylvia N. always seemed to be somewhere else, and Irene was boxless for the weekend), but never mind, we Maccann players are used to ploughing a lonely furrow.

Thanks to the organisers - I hope you managed to enjoy it too.

I presume that you're unlikely to be at Whitby Folk Week ? Paul Davenport (recent convert to the Dark Side) has, as far as I know, got it in mind to arrange a get together of Maccann players (bearing in mind that when Sylvia organised a workshop for duet players there a couple of years ago that there were 21 of us poor lost souls in the same room together it may be a good idea). The last I heard it was an almost definite.Sorry to disappoint for being boxless - must admit that I felt a bit twitchy when near someone else's .. did manage to handle Sylvia's , but not to play it. I was just intrigued by the size of it. (Mind you, I'm not sure that the world is ready for me in a full blown session at the moment ... maybe in a few months or so?)\

PS I think I have some photos of the duet get together at Whitby ... there were some 21 Maccann players, 1 Jeffries, and 1 Hayden player who was hiding his box! I was always given to understand by Ralphie Jordan that three Maccanns in one room was sufficient to cause implosion - we should probably have achieved nuclear fission on that occasion!

Edited by Irene S

Paul Davenport (recent convert to the Dark Side) has, as far as I know, got it in mind to arrange a get together of Maccann players (bearing in mind that when Sylvia organised a workshop for duet players there a couple of years ago that there were 21 of us poor lost souls in the same room together it may be a good idea). The last I heard it was an almost definite.

What's he got in mind?