selling a concertina across the pond

scoopet

I'm selling a concertina to someone in the states....Can anyone please help me and tell me firstly the best way for them to pay me, and secondly who are the best/easiest/least expensive company to post it with?

thanks,

simon

Hello

I have bought a few concertinas from England through international bank transfers. Everyone looses money probably with all methods of transaction through wild exchange rates, fees, and whatever they want to do to you.

With a bank transfer there are a few numbers you need to supply to the buyer. One is your bank account number, and I think there are 2 or more other code numbers that your bank can give you. You give these numbers to your buyer and he/she makes an international transfer from his bank to your account.

Maybe paypal is cheaper (or not) when all is said and done.

When purchasing or selling the money is sent first, cleared, then the instrument is shipped.

Richard

Richard

I bet it's not (spawn of Ebay!) but it would be good to actually know.

For postage there are various agencies advertising on the internet. Posting from England when I'm there, I use interparcel who have always been helpful but there are several and I don't have any particular reason to go with them. They agree bulk discount rates with the courier firms which they then pass on to their customers (well some of it) so your parcel may be picked up by Fedex or whoever. Their websites are usually pretty easy to follow; they quote on size and weight so you need those dims and your credit card when you start in.

You can also use them to collect, I learnt recently. So I could email Interparcel in England and get them to collect a parcel there and get it forwarded to me here in NZ

Paypal fees are a percentage of the amount transferred (about 4.5% when a currency exchange is involved), banks tend to have a flat fee per transaction. That combination means there will be a point below which paypal is cheaper and above bank transfer is cheaper. But you also have to factor in exchange rates which will be different between banks and paypal.

I've had very good experience with xe.com for transferring larger amounts, where they are almost always cheaper than either banks or paypal. It does take a while to sign up for xe.com, and you have to do a bit more work to set up a transfer but if you are prepared to do a bit of form filling it can be worthwhile.

With a 'bank to bank' transfer the sender can specify that you, the receiver, get a stipulated amount and that the sender pays all the costs.

That sounds like it could be very useful Geoff, if you know what I mean....

(I owe him money folks!)

I'm selling a concertina to someone in the states....Can anyone please help me and tell me firstly the best way for them to pay me, and secondly who are the best/easiest/least expensive company to post it with?

thanks,

simon

Like Dirge, I use Interparcel. They are really good. You don't have to have an account and you can choose your service, I generally go with DHL standard. They will also help you out with all the correct paperwork.

One word of warning though. Don't just put "Concertina". They will almost certainly delay while they come back to you for "more detailed description of contents". If you put something like "Concertina accordion musical instrument" it helps.

If just seen the date of your posting so you've probably sent it by now. If not, it's also a good idea to warn your customer that there will be extra duty and charges to pay when it arrives.

Good luck

Andrew

I have done several international bank transfers. Your bank will provide the information they need from the receiving party - there are several bank codes involved. There will be two charges involved - the charge the sender's bank charges for sending the transfer AND a charge to the receiver by their recieving bank to accept the transfer.