Concertinas In Morris Music

I have been thinking recently that there are not many concertinas being used for morris these days. Out of about 40-50 sides I have seen this summer so far, I have only seen one other being played. Melodeons being the most popular insrtruments, with a few piano accordions thrown in (no jokes). :D

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it geographical? We live in south-east England.

To hear a clip of me playing, search Chelmsford morris, (couldn't get link to work) this will take you to the homepage.

To see a picture of the Jeffries anglo being played, click on photos, scroll to bottom of page, click archives, click on Writtle festival and scoll down to morris pics.(A bit complicated but we are in the middle of making some changes to the website)

All the best

Martyn :)

Edited by martyn

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several sides here in New England who's musician plays concertina - I used to myself for Muddy River Morris. I think the reason why there are so many more melodeon players is that they are cheaper and (usually) louder (the instruments I mean!). Rain, knocks, kids, beer.... not a big deal for a Hohner... and you can always get another one if it's stolen.

Not my experience either. Mr Wilkins Shilling have 1 anglo (me) and 2 Englishes in the band. When I was watching the last night parade at Sidmouth just over a week ago I noticed that most of the sides seemed to have at least one concertina player, including our own John Wild playing for a side from Canterbury. Last year, I think it was, at Sidmouth the Nutters (that is, the Britannia Coconut Dancers) had a totally concertina band (this year they had the full silver band).

Chris

Edited for typo.exe

Edited by Chris Timson

In my 4 years as musician for Bluemont Morris, I've encountered relatively few other Anglo players. My guess is that the BA is a little easier to play with emphatic chords. Many Morris musicians around here are dancers who double as musicians, and who don't play much beyond their sides' dance repetroire. For them, I think, the melodeon is more suitable.

Also, as Rich says, melodeons are cheaper. Those melodeon players just keep honking when the weather turns nasty, while I dive for cover.

That said, there are some outstanding concertinists playing for Morris sides, including Tom Kruskal up in New England. And, of course, the Foggy Bottom Morris Men have the incredible Big Nick playing his Jeffries Duet.

I was playing Monk's March at our Bluemont Ale last year, and started hearing a pleasant echo. I turned around and saw that the very good Anglo player for Buffalo Head Morris (sorry, forgot his name) had joined in.

At our last ale, there were 3 Anglo players, 2 English players, 1 Duet and a dozen or more BAs. So we're hardly extinct.

I play concertina (Hayden Duet) for Morris (also pipe and tabor) here in Albany NY. I don't find it as common as melodeon or fiddle, but it's certainly not unheard of. William Kimber, of course, set the standard on the Anglo a hundred years ago, and the Kruskal brothers continue the tradition, highly influenced by his style.

Those melodeon players just keep honking when the weather turns nasty, while I dive for cover.

I recall a rainy tour in Albany some years back when the melodeons, too, were packed away... but the dancing continued -- "determined, but moist," -- to the seldom-heard sound of my thoroughly waterproof trumpet. :)

In Kettle Bridge Clogs (based in Maidstone in Kent, U.K.), we have 2 accordions, 1 melodeon, 2 or 3 concertinas (i.e. one is part-time), plus percussion on bass drum, snare drum and crowbar! One of the accordion players also plays concertina some of the time. These concertinas are all English system. I am trying to learn more of the sets on my Hayden duet but find playing standing up with wrist straps a difficult adjustment from the English concertina with thumb strap & finger rest. I have just purchased a Crabb English cocnertina which has the volume and bright tone suitable for playing outdoors.

Regards,

John Wild

The Morris group in San Diego California has one Anglo Concertina. If I succeed at learning the music that they claim is very easy to play, I will be bringing an English Concertina to the group.

Wish me luck!

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

My reasons for switching from English concertina to melodeon for Morris tunes were also volume and affordability.

When playing for Morris, rain wasn't a deterrent. I put on a rain poncho that covered the squeezebox du jour as well as me. Playing under the poncho made me look pregnant, but it was a musical baby.

Brian

When playing for Morris, rain wasn't a deterrent.  I put on a rain poncho that covered  the squeezebox du jour as well as me.  Playing under the poncho made me look pregnant, but it was a musical baby. 

And of course it should sweeten the tone. A handy tip for people who want the effect of baffles without the work of fitting them.

Ahem.

Chris

Aldbury Morris are almost totally concertina and English as well. Go here to have a look

Gold-plated concertinas?

Nanette

The concertinas belong to Terry who is playing treble in the picture, he got them from the Faire Four Sisters who played the Music Halls. He has two sets of two trebles, one tenor and a bass, all Aeolas. Don't you just hate some people ;)

Well I play Anglo, and my wife English, for both John o' Gaunt (Lancaster) and Wrigley Head. This is mainly North-West but John o' Gaunt do do some Cotswold as well.

I think that we do have some duplication of instrument types amongst Wrigley head, either 2 or 3 D/G melodians, but apart from that every instrument is different.

Robin Madge

I've just begun playing for the Harrisville Morris Women in Harrisville, New Hampshire. I've not tried using the Jeffries yet; it's heavier than the Marcus and I'll need to strengthen my arms!

As far as playing in the rain goes, a few years ago at NEFFA I saw a gent with his concertina inside a large plastic bag, playing away! It seemed to work, but I like the poncho idea better, especially for my precioussss.