Concertina Repair and Maintenance Workshop 2012

I'm pleased to announce that I will be conducting another Concertina Repair and Maintenance Workshop at this year's Irish Arts Festival in E. Durham, NY.

We will have an hour and a half to discuss and explore how the concertina works, common problems and their diagnosis and effective repairs and remedies every player should know.

Last year's repair workshop was well attended and I hope to continue in depth with a few topics we touched upon including choice of valves and getting the best sound from reeds. I'd be happy to consider any other topics from attendees that you'd like to cover as well.

East Durham Irish Arts Week 2012 July 15-21. See you there!

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I'm pleased to anounce that I will be conducting another Concertina Repair and Maintenance Workshop at this year's Irish Arts Festival in E. Durham, NY.

We will have an hour and a half to discuss and explore how the concertina works, common problems and their diagnosis and effective repairs and remedies every player should know.

Last year's repair workshop was well attended and I hope to continue in depth with few topics we touched upon including choice of valves and getting the best sound from reeds. I'd be happy to consider any other topics from attendees that you'd like to cover as well.

East Durham Irish Arts Week 2012 July 15-21. See you there!

Greg

Come on over Minnesota way Greg :lol:

I will definitely attend, bringing my wonderful(new to me)Anglo 26 button C/G antique Nickolds concertina. Of course this has already had Greg's capable hands-on renovation, but I look forward to meeting him face to face and learning more about keeping it in tip-top shape. Any idea which day/s you will be holding the workshop and when that will be (hopefully during the afternoon lecture time)?

Hi Dan,

I'll post details when I have confirmation of the time and place. No doubt one of the afternoon lecture slots and most likely on Wednesday or Thursday.

I should add that the workshop will be useful for any owner/player of a UK type construction vintage concertina whether anglo, english or duet system.

(I don't repair hybrids and so I can't give much advice for those types or chemnitzer instruments)

This year's Irish arts Week concertina instructors will be Dymphna O'Sullivan, Caitlinn Nic Gabhann, and Fr. Charlie Coen.

Greg

Be interested if anyone has any plans for similar in UK, for me personally south or west England.

Malcolm

I did a full day on a clinic and a repair workshop last week at Swaledale,

I am running a series of three at the Whitby Folk Festival in August,

Once I leave the 'day job' at the end of July (early retirement to concentrate more on concertina repair and writing), I will be pleased and available to come down to your area, if you have a local concertina group - or can muster enough interest;

I am interested in travelling around teaching so if any one in the UK(or outside) wants to explore options. feel free to make contact. Beats decorating, gardening and all the job the 'boss-lady' has been listing for the last 5 years.

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

good luck in your escape bid Davewink.gif

chris

Chris,

the escape tunnel is dug, I have false papers (in gold on black of course), I have all my plans set: the CEO is in denial, & my boss is looking harassed. I am burning off any remaining annual leave. The wife is spending money whilst we still have an income, all systems are go. Just need a plan to avoid the gardening & decorating....................................................

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

Well, I'll add my vote to malcolm's, so that's two of us already.

Symon,

if we can raise say 10 participants, then we can arrange something, are you in the same region as Malcolm?

Dave

Geoff Crabb has done similar workshops at the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend and I'm sure he will do the same this year if there is sufficient interest.See the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2012 thread to find details of the weekend and how you can book tickets or email me

Mark Davies

Email address:edeophone@aol.com

Well, I'll add my vote to malcolm's, so that's two of us already.

Symon,

if we can raise say 10 participants, then we can arrange something, are you in the same region as Malcolm?

Dave

I am in east Dorset

Malcolm

Geoff Crabb has done similar workshops at the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend and I'm sure he will do the same this year if there is sufficient interest.See the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2012 thread to find details of the weekend and how you can book tickets or email me

Mark Davies

Email address:edeophone@aol.com

Hi Mark

Geoff's talks are always good

Dave

And I'm in Bristol. Currently pondering on this and may well be in touch shortly.

Symon

keep in touch,

you could talk to the west country players, or talk to the Hawkwood band organisers if you want to test viability of a workshop in your area

cheers

Dave