New 8-key miniature square hybrid homemade concertina

Building of it began in February 2012, finished the 12th of May, the ends are 8cm x 8cm, it plays one diatonic octave, unisonoric, my goal was to make my own miniature English, it is the first free-reed instrument I build (after many restorations)

Tthe ends are of oakwood and cherry-wood, leather comes from Mr. Alois Blüml, organette builder from Grassau, Bavaria (who makes great instruments, by the way), and brass buttons and action from a Lachenal, generously provided to me by a forum user, conzertino (thank you again !!)

post-7449-0-10944800-1337329683_thumb.jpg

post-7449-0-16208900-1337329674_thumb.jpg

The reeds are from a completely destroyed double-reeded Intona organette. They are made of steel, not as delicate as concertina reeds but good sounding, they "eat" less air than standard new accordion reeds, and they are fairly small.

Many talk about buliding an instrument so always nice to see an actual result.

Well done,

Geoffrey

Thank you very much. I am honoured by your comment, coming from someone who has such a great experience with miniature (and not only) concertinas.

Many talk about buliding an instrument so always nice to see an actual result.

Well done,

Geoffrey

Thank you very much. I am honoured by your comment, coming from someone who has such a great experience with miniature (and not only) concertinas.

Really nice, maybe is to soon but have you ever thought to make a hexagonal one?,

Thanks , in England diatonic is often used wrongly for bisonoric because most diatonic accordions and concertinas play different notes on the push or pull on that button.

I'm sure a small bisonoric (Anglo) would be quite possible for a child . Adult concertinas are just too big and heavy. there are small Chinese kids' accordions which are good but not concertinas unfortunately

Edited by michael sam wild

I'm sure a small bisonoric (Anglo) would be quite possible for a child . Adult concertinas are just too big and heavy. there are small Chinese kids' accordions which are good but not concertinas unfortunately

Hi Mike,

Anthony James makes mini Anglos see here

Geoffrey

PS Couldn't send PM. Is your i/c message box full?

Hi Mike,

Anthony James makes mini Anglos see here

Geoffrey

PS Couldn't send PM. Is your i/c message box full?

There's one for sale on Ebay, right now, here.

Chris

Thanks , in England diatonic is often used wrongly for bisonoric because most diatonic accordions and concertinas play different notes on the push or pull on that button.

There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding terminology here!

Bisonoric = Different note push/pull

Unisoric = Same note push/pull

Chromatic = capable of being played in any key

Diatonic = tuned to one or more particular key(s)

A twenty button anglo and a D/G melodeon (diatonic button accordion) are therefore bisonoric diatonic instuments, whereas a thirty button anglo and a B/C/C# melodeon are (in theory) fully chromatic bisonoric instruments.

English/Duet concertinas and CBA are examples of fully chromatic unisoric button boxes.

Pete

Whereas the Russian "Garmoshka" is unisonoric and diatonic...

Ah, thank you! I keep seeing the occasional Garmoshka on ebay and they generally sell at quite low prices. Now I know what one is I might just be tempted to try and pick one up to have a mess around with!