WARNING..WHEATSTONE TENOR TREBLE PROBABLE EBAY SCAM

Perry Werner

Howdy:

Please be aware of what I am believing to be an Ebay scam for what appears to be and sounds like a gorgeous 1916 Wheatstone Tenor-Treble here.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheatstone-Tenor-Treble-56-Button-Concertina-c1916-/390420002758?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item5ae6d877c6#ht_919wt_902

Starting at £1. It also mentions a Buy It Now Price of £1200 in the second subject line though it cannot be purchased as an Ebay Buy It Now.

Also, if you read the description, the seller wishes to be contacted at their email address given in the description.

I did correspond with the "seller" this morning and all sounded good. I checked his over 50000 ratings and for the most part it sounded legitimate. I was told that they would send a Paypal invoice. I called Ebay to ask them what they thought and their agent said that at first glance it looked okay due to their feedback. She did a bit more research to find that many more of their expensive items were listed the same way as the Wheatstone as far as the buy it now and the price and the email contact information.

Then the seller, rather than sending me a Paypal invoice, sent me their bank transfer information. That was the end of it for me. This guy (actually someone named Maria) was not getting my money. So once again, when it's too good to be true it usually is.

Anyway be wary out there. Glad I was but geez I would have liked to have what looks like a nice instrument.

By the way Ebay did verify that if you do get caught up in a scam you are either protected by them or Paypal should a deal not go down correctly. That is a relief.

Be careful,

Perry Werner

PS: I'm going to also cross post this to General Discussions in case anyone does not see this.

Also, the following is in the description:

Quote 1:

New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

Quote 2:

Number 27185 Made In 1916/17 (September 21st)

these two statements are clearly contradictory

Also, while paypal will endeavour to return your money to you if it's a scam, that's not always possible, and there may be a limit.

I raised a dispute with paypal over a falsely advertised expensive mountain bike that my son bought - I did get my money back, but there was a lot of work to provide evidence in the dispute, and then it took paypal nearly a year to get the money as the seller had emptied his paypal account before the dispute proceeded.

So, definitely proceed with care...

aha - the listing has been removed. Well done for reporting it.

Edited by P Carr

Also, while paypal will endeavour to return your money to you if it's a scam, that's not always possible, and there may be a limit.

I raised a dispute with paypal over a falsely advertised expensive mountain bike that my son bought - I did get my money back, but there was a lot of work to provide evidence in the dispute, and then it took paypal nearly a year to get the money as the seller had emptied his paypal account before the dispute proceeded.

So, definitely proceed with care...

aha - the listing has been removed. Well done for reporting it.

Oh yeah. Though the seller originally told me that she would send me a Paypal invoice she did request a bank transfer because according to her she had reached the limit of money allowed in her Paypal account. That was a good one!

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again... Reported to eBay, but why can't their system recognise the same scam when it appears over and over again?

He's not just scamming the concertina but has hijacked this seller from Hong Kong to sell a whole host of other hijacked items from other sellers, all being advertised at a buy it now price of £1200, to make it simple! See here. The cheeky chappy!!

Chris