Concertining In London

Hey y'all,

I'm going to be studying in London for the fall semester. I'll be living in Bloomsbury.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what a beginner anglo player

should be on the lookout for. Also is there some sort of guidebook or something to

folk music around England?

thanks,

patrick

atlanta, ga

For anyone visiting the UK, I would strongly recommend starting at

The English Folk Song and Dance Society for information for the whole of the UK.

www dot efdss dot org

For London Area there is a publication called Time Out which gives Folk events

Or Patrick you can see me at the George Session 1st Monday in the Month (unless it is a Bank Holiday and then the week later).It is not an Irish Session.

Al

Martin Nail (anglo player with The Committee Band) has put together a web page called Some folk music activities in London. There's some good links there, plus a link to the website of Folk London, a folk listings mag that has been going for I don't know how many years, and is partly run by Gerry Milne (an English concertina player).

For concertina-specific events, look at the What's On page of the ICA web site.

Have fun!

Chris

As you'll be living in Bloomsbury, will you you be studying at a nearby place of learning. UCL (University College London), is the obvious one but there are many more. I was one of the "Godless Students of Gower Street" from 1969.

I picked up the concertina whilst there but I doubt that many of the places I remember are still active except Cecil Sharp House just up the road in Camden Town.

You might try the social dance class there on Thursday evening which has a "come all ye" band. You might also try any of the London morris sides. Listing for morris sides are on www.morrisdancing.org

regards

Howard Mitchell

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am just settling in here in London for about a week, but I hadn't internet access until now. Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to go walk up to the Cecil Sharp House today and hopefully go to that session Alan mentions in a week or so. Thanks so much for the info.

Howard, I'm not studying at UCL, but my campus is right next to Gower Street. I'm at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies). It seems to be a great area. I've loved it so far.

Its been mentioned in quite a few threads, but a trip out to the Horniman Museum (nearest station Forest Hill, around 20mins from London) might interest you. They have a large display of concertinas and related instruments, but someone reported that the lighting had broken down, so ring and check before you go.