ABC for William Irwin tunes

Kautilya

The Village Music project has been mentioned in various places here but I was interested to find from some of its activists at the William Irwin weekend that they are gradually putting more and more of the old collections into ABC on their site and some, not just fiddle tunes,look good for tinas.

Here is the ABC page for William Irwin

http://www.village-music-project.org.uk/abc/IRWIN.ABC

Here's a nice one in G

X:15

T:Tyrol Waltz. WI.015

M:3/4

L:1/8

Q:1/4=120

S:Wm Irwin, 1838 MS, AGG's Transcription

R:.Waltz

O:England

A:Lake District

Z:vmp.Chris Partington.2005

K:G

D2|G>G B>B d>d|b2g2 (3gfg|a2c'2 (3fef|g2b2D2|!

G>G B>B d>d|b2g2 (3gfg|a2c'2 (3fef|g4:|!

|:(3gfg|a2c'2 (3fef|g2b2 (3gfg|a2c'2 (3fef|g2b2 (3gdB|!

G>G B>B d>d|b2g2 (3gfg|a2c'2 (3fef|g4:|!

"^Variation, followed by another AGG"\

D2|(3GDG (3BGB (3dBd "_etc"g2zz|]

The Bonnie Lassies of Keswick is also good but it is in D (and is easier played with the midi on slow speed! The D did not bother the English boxes) and was played as all kinds of instruments processed up the hill to the cemetery to play at the little memorial ceremony (the cello was already at the grave!)

X:9

T:Keswick Bonny Lasses Hornpipe. WI.009

M:C|

L:1/8

Q:1/2=90

S:Wm Irwin, 1838 MS, AGG's Transcription

R:.Hornipe

O:England

A:Lake District

N:A.G.G writes "these altrernatives are my own", presumably meaning that

N:Irwin has a different conclusion to the B music..CGP.

Z:vmp.Chris Partington.2005

K:D

(3ABc|d2fe dcBA|Bcdc BAGF|\

G2BA GFED|C2A,2 A,2(3ABc|!

d2fe dcBA|Bcdc BAGF|GABc dABG|F2D2 D2:|!

|:AG|FDFA dAGF|GEGB ecAF|\

FDFA dAGF|G2E2 E2(3ABc|!

d2fe dcBA|Bcdc BAGF|GABc dABG|F2D2 D2:|

:D

Edited by Kautilya

The Village Music project has been mentioned in various places here but I was interested to find from some of its activists at the William Irwin weekend that they are gradually putting more and more of the old collections into ABC on their site and some, not just fiddle tunes,look good for tinas.

I have to say that the concept of a VMP 'activist' sounds pretty much like an oxymoron! I'm a transcriber for the project, good fun but the wheels of progress drive exceeding slow! :rolleyes: :unsure:

I have to say that the concept of a VMP 'activist' sounds pretty much like an oxymoron! I'm a transcriber for the project, good fun but the wheels of progress drive exceeding slow! :rolleyes: :unsure:

No need to be bashful and hide your bushel under a bellows - r u saying it is time to fire up the deadwood and crack the whip?

Paste this in u know where for inspiration :) :)

The Deadwood Stage from Calamity Jane (1953)

No need to be bashful and hide your bushel under a bellows - r u saying it is time to fire up the deadwood and crack the whip?

I'll keep my bushel to meself ta very much. I see you still speak in tongues. Sadly, I speak in others! :lol:

I quite like the idea of the VMP being 'activists' - hoards of crack ABC-ers roaming the countryside in search of music manuscript books to transcribe, lead by shadowy figures referred to only by their code-names John Adams and Chris Partington, communicating their findings by secret encoded messages all starting X: ...

If Hollywood can make a film out of Battleships, just think of the fun that could be had with William Irwin II - This Time It's Minuets ...

I'll keep my bushel to meself ta very much. I see you still speak in tongues. Sadly, I speak in others! :lol:

Such a pussycat as usual! :rolleyes:

But mock you not.... tis true I am learning to write and understand different tongues (e.g. in this jubilee year, redolent of the peasants and the "Magna Garter": --"Honi soit qui mal y pense" -- "Honey, your silk stocking is hanging down..." (Quote from Prince Philip)

I am still learning to speak and you can see how I struggle to find the right key to voice my box - they say good embouchure is the first step to controlling bellows air flow through your instrument to get it to "speak":

BTW - with a bit of luck it may be possible to show World (Dutch) Expert bending (all)notes on a tina without doing a raspberry--

Will put it up with Al's earlier discussion of this, if I find a visual was recorded at Swaledale; where it became all the rage. (There is sound from the final concert, but don't know if we have visuals).

It can be done, but, like learning to whistle with two fingers, it needs practice. :D

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" -- "Honey, your silk stocking is hanging down..." (Quote from Prince Philip)

Who is clearly a Sellars and Yeatman devotee. Somehow he didn't strike me as that sort of chap.