"Englitina" for Android!

"Englitina" - my English Concertina app previously only on iOS is now available for Android!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tradlessons.concertina.englitina

Because of audio latency issues with Android, we had to limit the platforms to only the latest Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" release, but it's a start.

More info at:

http://www.tradlessons.com/Englitina.html

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

Edited by eskin

I have an Archos 70 (Froyo) and an Archos 80 (ICS) and the Google Play Store says that Englitina is incompatible with both devices :(

I love Android but that's one weakness of the platform: fragmentation. There's so much different hardware running Android devices that applications are not guaranteed to work on all of them. I'd be curious to know why the Archos 80, which is running Android 4, can't run this app.

Hmm, let me find out why the ICS devices aren't compatible.

This is the first app port to Android, so we're bound to have a few glitches to work through as far as deployment...

OK, looks like we didn't allow the app to run on tablets (the graphics are scaled for phones, so it'll be pretty coarse on a tablet, but should work).

My Android developer updated the permissions, the Archos should now be supported. The main requirement is that the device has to be running ICS and able to handle fully independent multi-touch. Not sure why the Sony doesn't meet the requirements.

Edited by eskin

Hmm, let me find out why the ICS devices aren't compatible.

This is the first app port to Android, so we're bound to have a few glitches to work through as far as deployment...

OK, looks like we didn't allow the app to run on tablets (the graphics are scaled for phones, so it'll be pretty coarse on a tablet, but should work).

My Android developer updated the permissions, the Archos should now be supported. The main requirement is that the device has to be running ICS and able to handle fully independent multi-touch. Not sure why the Sony doesn't meet the requirements.

OK, we've further reduced the hardware requirements to only require independent multitouch, not the full "JazzHands" independent multitouch tracking. This should be sufficient for an English concertina app, at least in my use of the app, I only need at most 3 fingers on the screen and I don't generally do sliding. According to Google, the app is now supported on ICS 65 devices after loosening the requirements.

Ok, I can now install Englitina for Android on my Archos 80G9.

It is fun and it sounds nice. I can press up to four keys simultaneously.

The graphics are pixelated so maybe a future revision could take into account higher resolution screens. I think that I only have one other Android app that behaves this way - and that has not been updated by its dev in a couple of years.

I also wonder if more keys could be accommodated on tablet sized screens?

Don.

PS. You forget the air button :P

[Added after playing with it a bit longer:

So it seems to me that I should be playing the Englitina with the back of the tablet on my belly and the screen facing away from me so that I reach around to play the notes. But the Englitina seems to be designed to be played with the tablet facing the player and you have to push on the notes from the front - which feels, to me, a lot less concertinarish than the other way around.

The left hand seems OK, but the right-hand side seems to be a mirror image of what it should be: D and G are played with the middle finger instead of the index finger.

Maybe I am missing something obvious as I am a beginner tina player]

Edited by bufflehead

Please watch the videos on the app website, one shows the evolution of the button board from the real instrument to the app:

http://www.tradlessons.com/Englitina.html

Specifically:

and

I think this will answer all your questions about the layout and hold. It is designed to be played with your hands coming in from the sides of the device. On a phone you'd be holding the device with your thumb and little finger.

The graphics are sized for the phones so do look coarse if sized up to tablet size.

Edited by eskin

Please watch the videos on the app website, one shows the evolution of the button board from the real instrument to the app:

Ok, I get it now - I must have been tired last night.

On a 7" or 8" (or an iPad?) tablet it is comfortable enough to reach the notes, but there is loots of room for more buttons. I would really like to see low A and C added to the left, and low G and B added to the right. All of the early practices in my tutor books start at C and that button is not there.

Don.

On a 7" or 8" (or an iPad?) tablet it is comfortable enough to reach the notes, but there is loots of room for more buttons. I would really like to see low A and C added to the left, and low G and B added to the right. All of the early practices in my tutor books start at C and that button is not there.

Don.

I do have a tablet version for iPad that has the full layout:

http://www.tradlessons.com/EnglitinaXL.html

but Englitina for the phones has all the note required to play the majority of traditional Irish tunes, which was my focus.

My developer friend has asked about porting the tablet version as well, so stay tuned... Have to start somewhere. :-)

Edited by eskin

• 2 weeks later...

I lucked out and didn't need to root my phone because T-Mobile US finally released the official update to ICS yesterday! ^_^

My only request would be to have a secondary note layout that copies the layout of the Jack/Jackie, minus the last two buttons on each side of the top end (and obviously the air button ;)), or perhaps have a second edition "JackitinaXL" (or sommat).

I'd pay a fiver for that.

• 2 months later...

Don.

I do have a tablet version for iPad that has the full layout:

http://www.tradlesso...nglitinaXL.html

but Englitina for the phones has all the note required to play the majority of traditional Irish tunes, which was my focus.

My developer friend has asked about porting the tablet version as well, so stay tuned... Have to start somewhere. :-)

Is there any chance of issuing EnglitinaXL for Android tablets.

I've been playing with the Englitina App on my new Nexus7 and with small hands find that the playing position - coming at the buttons from the sides with the tablet held vertically, is too awkward. I'd love to try it with the iPad orientation - even it if I don't get the full range of buttons.

Chris

ps Obviously from thsi you can see that Englitina works fine on the Nexus7 with OS 4.1

Mike - which other** now have Android apps please, besides latest Englitina? Looking for Anglo, Melodeon (in C/F, D/G Bflat/Eflat/ C#D) whistle (tin and wooden 19thC flageolet which is seven holes but also plus six keys)Low D whistle)?

Been waiting so long (since u started :) :) ) to have a non-Apple go at these and now have in play an Asus EEE Transformer Prime (The 64GB TF201).

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/

Whether its alleged gamester super speed claims will be of any relevance I do not know. it is a bit like a racing horse - v nervy and easy to make a finger swipe mistake and whole screen can disappear...! the shutdown screen key is where del key is usually on a qwerty kboard.

But it might be interesting to see how it works/copes with the rowdy sessionistas in pubs during Whitby Folk 2012 in a few weeks.

I may twist TomB's arms to try it in public as he does all the stuff:flute, whistle, acccordion, melodeon, concertina, (Welsh) pipes and voice with instrument (not the whistle or flute!)

**Here is yr site list which are Apple apps mainly

Tin Whistle (76 tunes)

Group 1

Group 2

Group 3

Wooden Flute

(15 tunes)

Uilleann Pipes

(26 tunes)

Anglo Concertina

(9 tunes)

Ta!

Not sure why the copy and paste from my tune videos page, but here's the latest.

So far Englitina on Android seems to be working pretty well, runs on Android ICS and JB.

My friend who is working on the ports for me in his spare time is looking next at the three row accordion apps, we'll be focusing on the Android tablets running ICS or later.

Timeframe, I don't know. We both have full time jobs, the apps are an after-hours effort, so I hope we can get a GCF accordion app ported by the end of the year for tablets with at least a 1024x768 screen resolution.

No plans at this time to port any more concertinas. That could always change.