Wanted Aeola tenor-treble English system

fuzzy

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Bastari and have decided what I want: a 56 metal button, wood ended, Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble-riveted action, brass reed pans, A=440, preferably from the period 1910-1930 or so. Playability and tone more important than appearance. Any leads/help on this project greatly appreciated. I'm monitoring online the Button Box, Concertina Connection, Hobgoblin UK and Barleycorn Concertinas. Any others out there?

yeah, fuzzy; I feel your pain. You could be laying in the weeds watching and looking for upwards of 6 months to a year. Hopefully the wait will be rewarded with an excellent "slopped into" story that no one could possilby believe! Be patient. Don't grind your teeth to nubs in the meantime. Michelle

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Bastari and have decided what I want: a 56 metal button, wood ended, Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble-riveted action, brass reed pans, A=440, preferably from the period 1910-1930 or so. Playability and tone more important than appearance. Any leads/help on this project greatly appreciated. I'm monitoring online the Button Box, Concertina Connection, Hobgoblin UK and Barleycorn Concertinas. Any others out there?

Pardon my lack of knowledge here. Is the request for brass reed pans or for brass reeds? I suspect brass reeded Aeolas must be rare birds indeed...

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Bastari and have decided what I want: a 56 metal button, wood ended, Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble-riveted action, brass reed pans...

Pardon my lack of knowledge here. Is the request for brass reed pans or for brass reeds? I suspect brass reeded Aeolas must be rare birds indeed...

I'm pretty sure that what fuzzy meant is brass frames for the individual reeds, not the "pans" which hold all the reeds in their frames.

As for Aeolas with brass reed tongues, there have been a few. They were specially made, apparently using an especially high quality brass, for use in humid tropical environments where steel reeds might be expected to rust easily.

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Bastari and have decided what I want: a 56 metal button, wood ended, Wheatstone Aeola tenor-treble-riveted action, brass reed pans...

I'm pretty sure that what fuzzy meant is brass frames for the individual reeds, not the "pans" which hold all the reeds in their frames.

As for Aeolas with brass reed tongues, there have been a few. They were specially made, apparently using an especially high quality brass, for use in humid tropical environments where steel reeds might be expected to rust easily.

The TT in my avatar has brass reeds - lovely warm sound for song accompaniment, and punchy enough for jamming.

Edited by SteveS

• 4 weeks later...

I'm monitoring online the Button Box, Concertina Connection, Hobgoblin UK and Barleycorn Concertinas. Any others out there?

I have one Aeola TT, and shortly to add another at The Box Place in the UK