Stockhausen et al. legacy on concertina?

Kautilya

New frontiers perhaps for Dirge, and others already brave in tackling the challenges and complexities of the big classical scores.

Some interesting bits from an analysis today:"Five myths about modern classical music"

"It all sounds like a squeaky gate" :

"Without Stockhausen.... the Beatles would be mired in musical pre-history"

"...composers who write music that pushes musicians to their extremes are doing nothing more than fiddling around with meaningless notes in a solipsistic, self-indulgent reverie."

Perhaps of the tina as the "working man's" easy entrée into the world of songs and melodies for social and political commentary:

Of Cornelius Cardew:

"All his music was composed with social and political consciousness at its heart."

Ravel vs Varèse:

Re education work by London Sinfonietta in early 80s:

"The (school) kids loved Varèse and couldn't get on with Ravel.. ('s sensual, beguiling, "easy"music)

Grade 13 Exam:

Discuss above:

Or rather, play something classically modern!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/26/five-myths-contemporary-classical-music

Gosh! Serendipity - see Leo's roundup and Canada Anglo piece for Levon - riveting. (Reminders too of whether tina band could work for Penderecki's 1959 Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima for 52 strings. I remember listeneing to it with a teacher as a teeny tot when it first came out, and fear of the 'hail' of musical radioactivity falling to the ground. It was not long after we had chatted on several occasions with Leonard Cheshire, who was on the Nagasaki flight. He had come for a break at the school and we used to sit with him on a bench overlooking the school playing fields in the summer sun**.

Search Threnody National Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Anglo

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14148&pid=135605&st=0entry135605

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6670000/newsid_6670400/6670479.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&ms3=6&ms_javascript=true&bbcws=2

Edited by Kautilya

I think I might be playing some Shostakovich, but I'm not sure.

There was a collection of photocopied pieces in one of my jumble sale piles. Clearly there were 12 (or more) pieces that belong together. They have no names, no clues, no reference numbers no nothing but they are professionally typeset and I lack the first piece and any indexes, preambles whatever.

They tend to involve keys with several flats and are a bit tricky, but they are all nice and short. I could make enough sense of one of them to decide it had to be by Bach and was rather good so I am learning it. ON the back of it is the next piece; because it was there everytime I turned the page I persisted with it and it started to make a bit of sense. This was rather good too but certainly wasn't JSB. It sounds like someone like Dicky Strauss or Wagner or somesuch. Interested now, I tried others; they sound like Hayden and Mozart. It's not just a copy of a collection of piano music by various composers because each individual piece would be credited somewhere on the page.

I have an idea that I had the commentary that went with this and that it was about how S had written a set of pieces in the styles of old composers just to show he could. I've a nasty feeling I may have chucked it away without realising what it was. Irritating now I want to know about the music.

Edited by Dirge

There was a collection of photocopied pieces in one of my jumble sale piles. Clearly there were 12 (or more) pieces that belong together. They have no names, no clues, no reference numbers no nothing but they are professionally typeset

No indices (plural of indicks) eh? :rolleyes:

I was just wondereing if there was even a printer's folio/quarto sheet run number at bottom of page but then it read on and it sounds like u have ruled that out.

Any chance of a photo of one of the pages? Maybe someone can then ABC a few lines and someone can put it into one of the name this tune apps. Or (and perhaps someone may recognise layout from a particular music publisher). E.g. I am looking at a Prowse "first steps" A5 32ppager which has a very particular font and layout and on the back outside page bottom right corner their tiny (print) ref number L.B.645. I'm not very good at spotting this type of connection but someone may.

:)

There was a collection of photocopied pieces in one of my jumble sale piles. Clearly there were 12 (or more) pieces that belong together. They have no names, no clues, no reference numbers no nothing but they are professionally typeset

No indices (plural of indicks) eh? :rolleyes:

I was just wondereing if there was even a printer's folio/quarto sheet run number at bottom of page but then it read on and it sounds like u have ruled that out.

Any chance of a photo of one of the pages? Maybe someone can then ABC a few lines and someone can put it into one of the name this tune apps. Or (and perhaps someone may recognise layout from a particular music publisher). E.g. I am looking at a Prowse "first steps" A5 32ppager which has a very particular font and layout and on the back outside page bottom right corner their tiny (print) ref number L.B.645. I'm not very good at spotting this type of connection but someone may.

:)

I'll see what I can do; I'd like to know. Might be just about up to recording at least one of them.

• 3 months later...

How about some of Gubaidulina's bayan music?

Wow!** Tks Jack - Had no idea about this amazing woman. talk about prolific:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sofia_Gubaidulina

Can Dirge compete at the bottom and top ends? - surely yes!

Dunno. Don't like it. CBA to try...

Nor do I partikerly (!) but it is impressive.

Remember young man, if you don't eat your greens you will never grow spinach in your ears to reach the notes others cannot!

Edited by Kautilya

Nor do I partikerly (!) but it is impressive.

Remember young man, if you don't eat your greens you will never grow spinach in your ears to reach the notes others cannot!

Fair point.